Big News about African Studies From UT

Toyin Falola

Sep 23, 2021, 8:25:33 PM9/23/21
to dialogue, Yoruba Affairs, BROWNELL Emily, nd...@cornell.edu

Dear all,

In the past week, we have received huge news related to two alumni from our graduate program, Dr. Naminata Diabate and Dr. Emily Brownell, both have books that have been selected as finalists for top book prizes by the African Studies Association.

Emily’s book, Gone to Ground: A History of Environment and Infrastructure in Dar es Salaam (University of Pittsburgh Press, 2020), is nominated for the Bethwell A. Ogot Book Prize.  The prize, named after the late but still great Prof. Ogot, is given annually to the author of the best book dealing with East African Studies.

Naminata’s book, Naked Agency: Genital Cursing and Biopolitics in Africa (Duke University Press, 2020), is a finalist for the ASA Best Book Prize (formerly known as the Herskovits Award).  The award goes to the author of the most important scholarly work in African Studies from the previous year.

Both books are based on their doctoral dissertations so we must all be very proud of these momentous accomplishments.  Many scholars go their entire careers working towards becoming finalists for these awards, and Naminata and Emily have become finalists with their first books!

These achievements speak not only to the intellect and ability of these two scholars but also of the vibrant Africanist community that we’ve built here in Austin.

TF

Elias K. Bongmba

Sep 23, 2021, 9:02:30 PM9/23/21
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com

Congratulations are in order here. These are indeed a testament to the excellence of the program at Austin.

Elias

--
Listserv moderated by Toyin Falola, University of Texas at Austin
Elias Kifon Bongmba PhD, DTheo (Lund)

Harrow, Kenneth

Sep 23, 2021, 9:30:11 PM9/23/21
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
i know naminata's book quite well. she is very much deserving of great praise
ken

kenneth harrow

professor emeritus

dept of english

michigan state university

517 803-8839

har...@msu.edu

Sep 23, 2021, 9:37:40 PM9/23/21
to usaafric...@googlegroups.com
I used Naminata’s book in my graduate/doctoral course, Literature and Ethics in the fall semester of 2020. It is a great book.

Nimi Wariboko
Boston University

Michael Afolayan

Sep 24, 2021, 9:57:37 AM9/24/21
to yorubaaffa...@googlegroups.com, dialogue, Yoruba Affairs, BROWNELL Emily, nd...@cornell.edu
Congratulations to the two authors. We are proud of you!
MOA

On Friday, September 24, 2021, 10:43:07 AM GMT+1, 'Ogunfolakan Adisa' via Yoruba Affairs <yoruba...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Congratulations to the authors

Sent from my iPhone