Stupid question...

Chris

Aug 26, 2010, 1:50:47 PM8/26/10
to UPA 11th edition rules
Hi there.

Again, pardon my french...

Question, what is "picking up the disk"?

Scenario : Let's say a guy named Carl makes a hell a a D just outside
the attaking endzone. The disk stops on the grounds a few feet away.
He goes up to it, bends down, puts his hand under the rim, lifts it as
if it had a hinge (but does not break ground contact) and let's it
drop back in it's place on the urgent call of "No, Don't" by someone
we'll call Anne-So, his teamate.

Is there anywhere in the rules where they are precise on the picking
up part ?
we juged it a turn over.

Jon Bauman

Aug 26, 2010, 1:54:18 PM8/26/10
to upa_11th_ed...@googlegroups.com
I would say that if it meets the definition of "possession", you have picked up the disc:

II.O Possession of the disc: Sustained contact with, and control of, a non-spinning disc.

So, I agree that it would be a turnover.

Colin

Aug 26, 2010, 9:27:40 PM8/26/10
to UPA 11th edition rules
To clarify, did he grip the disc? or did he just slip a finger under
the rim (like you would a crowbar) and lift the disc upward? Jon
seems to think he gripped the disc.

But imagine that instead of lying on the ground, the disc is
airborne. The player does the exact same action and a defender comes
and swats the disc away. Would you allow a strip call? Sure, there
was sustained contact, but was that enough control to be possession?
If he gripped it, then probably. If he didn't grip it, then probably
not.

The rule you're looking for (which Jon quoted) is:

II.O Possession of the disc: Sustained contact with, and control of, a
non-spinning disc.

-Colin

On Aug 26, 1:54 pm, Jon Bauman <baum...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would say that if it meets the definition of "possession", you have picked
> up the disc:
>
> II.O Possession of the disc: Sustained contact with, and control of, a
>
> > non-spinning disc.
>
> So, I agree that it would be a turnover.
>
> On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 10:50 AM, Chris <cpar...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi there.
>
> > Again, pardon my french...
>
> > Question, what is "picking up the disk"?
>
> > Scenario :  Let's say a guy named Carl makes a hell a a D just outside
> > the attaking endzone.  The disk stops on the grounds a few feet away.
> > He goes up to it, bends down, puts his hand under the rim, lifts it as
> > if it had a hinge (but does not break ground contact) and let's it
> > drop back in it's place on the urgent call of "No, Don't" by someone
> > we'll call Anne-So, his teamate.
>
> > Is there anywhere in the rules where they are precise on the picking
> > up part ?
> > we juged it a turn over.
>
> > --
> > .

themindset

Sep 30, 2010, 3:18:13 PM9/30/10
to UPA 11th edition rules

Hi Jon,

I believe that if the player has not closed his hand around the disc -
he does not have control. In order to stop rolling discs I've seen
many players kinda "cup" the disc in their hand, without closing their
fingers around the rim, which results in "sustained contact" and would
meet your (but not my) criteria of control.

In that such cases (Colin's example as well as mine), I wouldn't want
the SRC to consider that a turn-over.

On Aug 26, 1:54 pm, Jon Bauman <baum...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would say that if it meets the definition of "possession", you have picked
> up the disc:
>
> II.O Possession of the disc: Sustained contact with, and control of, a
>
> > non-spinning disc.
>
> So, I agree that it would be a turnover.
>
> On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 10:50 AM, Chris <cpar...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi there.
>
> > Again, pardon my french...
>
> > Question, what is "picking up the disk"?
>
> > Scenario :  Let's say a guy named Carl makes a hell a a D just outside
> > the attaking endzone.  The disk stops on the grounds a few feet away.
> > He goes up to it, bends down, puts his hand under the rim, lifts it as
> > if it had a hinge (but does not break ground contact) and let's it
> > drop back in it's place on the urgent call of "No, Don't" by someone
> > we'll call Anne-So, his teamate.
>
> > Is there anywhere in the rules where they are precise on the picking
> > up part ?
> > we juged it a turn over.
>
> > --
> > .

Jon Bauman

Sep 30, 2010, 3:34:20 PM9/30/10
to upa_11th_ed...@googlegroups.com
The original post seemed do describe gripping to me (it's always hard to say without actually seeing it). I wouldn't call stopping a rolling pull possession, but nor do I see why it would ever require "sustained contact".