Stall count

JJ Jones

Feb 8, 2011, 5:54:02 PM2/8/11
to UPA 11th edition rules
Proper stall count initiated; in progress. I think thrower is going to
throw, I yell "UP"; he doesn't throw. The UP call took a full second;
can I continue on as if the UP were part of the count?

Example: "Stalling, 1, 2, 3, UP, 5, 6..."

Everything was at one second intervals.

Or must I resume after "UP" at 4?

Jeff

Jon Bauman

Feb 8, 2011, 5:58:59 PM2/8/11
to upa_11th_ed...@googlegroups.com
You have to count every number. XIV.A.1:

The stall count consists of announcing stalling and counting from one to ten loudly enough for the thrower to hear.

Furthermore, XIV.B.1 (emphasis mine):

If the marker does not say stalling to initiate or resume a stall count, counts at intervals of less than one second, or skips a number in the count, it is a fast count.

Jeff J Jones

Feb 8, 2011, 6:06:00 PM2/8/11
to upa_11th_ed...@googlegroups.com

Man – you’re not only good, you’re fast!

It was our assumption that such would be the ruling. However, we wondered whether the intent was the span of 10 seconds and every number uttered; or mostly the span of 10 seconds with anything (Spanish numbers for example, or the word “UP”) being uttered in place of a given number as long as the one second interval was not being violated – which could be interpreted to be the spirit of the rule.

But no problem. Thanks for the fast ruling on this.

Jeff

Steve Rieck

Feb 8, 2011, 10:07:36 PM2/8/11
to upa_11th_ed...@googlegroups.com
How about if you include the proper number combined with the word  up, such as upfour, so that the correct number is announced with the proper interval, so you don't conceed that extra second unneccesarily.............Original Condor