Urgent Winter Needs for Refugees

Human Rights Research Network

Nov 9, 2009, 11:19:06 AM11/9/09
to UNCG Human Rights Research Network
Urgent Winter Needs for Refugees

by Sarah Ivory, Director
Greensboro Office of Church World Service

The closing of the overseas processing entity in Vietnam means a
larger than normal number of refugee arrivals coming to our community
in the usually slow months of November, December, and January. A
number of these Vietnamese families include or are made up solely of
elders.

Currently Church World Service has a total of 63 un-arrived
individuals from Vietnam forming 19 families all of whom will come by
the end of January. Of these, at least 6 families will be arriving
this month (2 families, 9 people on 11/4 and 4 families, 12 people on
11/11) in addition to the regular non-Vietnam case load. Current Nov
#s for CWS stand at 36 individuals in the first two weeks of November,
including 10 children and 6 elders, no info yet on second half of the
month .

We are now facing an URGENT NEED for FULL size (or larger) beds for
the adult couples and for blankets for all as we head into winter.

Donations may be dropped off at FaithAction International House on
weekdays between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. or you may contact the Church World
Service office directly at 617-0381 or by emailing Meredith, our new
AmeriCorps VISTA volunteer, at mnew...@churchworldservice.org.

Additionally, if you know of any resources where items can be
purchased cheaply or in bulk please let us know. Thank you in advance
for sharing this information throughout the community!