Introduce Yourself 2

Ghosttown Bob

Feb 22, 2006, 4:57:46 PM2/22/06
to Utah Ghost Town and Mine Preservation Group
Since the original Introduce youself thread has closed, I thought I
would open another one for any of those interested. Also I thought it
was about time to introduce myself.

1. My name is Bob Goodwin and I live in Pleasant Grove, Utah. I work at
Brigham Young University.

2. I have been interested in Utah's Ghost Towns along with the mining
and other history of Utah for over 30 years. For the last few years I
havd been compling my information with the intent of eventually
publishing what I have.
I believe that we should be protecting the reminents of our mining
history, not systematically destroying it either through neglect,
vandelism, or through "reclamation projects" to designed to "restore"
mining areas to their "original" state.

3. I would eventually like to see this group become an advocacy group
to counteract such organizations such as the Seirra Club and others
bent on destroying our history.

4. The only real assest that I have to give a group like this is my
historical knowledge of the ghost towns and mining in Utah. I either
know, or can get readily, information on just about any mining activity
in the State. If we need write-ups on the historical significance of
areas, I can help.

One thing that I think we need is to do some on-site assesment work on
endangered areas to document historic remains (including mine shafts
and headframes, buildings, mine dumps, roads, etc.) to submit for
preservation efforts, and also to monitor what the mine closure people
are doing. It would also be a nice thing to work on some materials tha
could be sent to individuals or schools that counters some of the
misconceptions that are being peddled about abandoned mines ets.

Bob Goodwin

p.s. my email is now: bob_g...@byu.edu