RE: (UGTMPG) Gold Hill Reclamation meeting 5-23-06

ED GOSLING

May 25, 2006, 9:21:17 PM5/25/06
to UGT...@googlegroups.com
Hi Corey,

I was caught up this week in our 2nd quarter MSHA inspecton and was unable
to get off early enough to make the meeting. Please let me know how it
turned out

I hope you were able to make some positive progress with OGM in behalf of
preservation.
I ran across a Souix proverb recently that said "People without a history
is like wind in the grass",
how true.

I'm sure you are very busy getting ready for your safari this weekend, I
plan to head out on Monday to Gold Hill for several days and then on to the
Dugways to check out the Buckhorn site if I can find it and visit my other
favorite spots there.
I'll let you know what how it goes.

Regards,
Ed

Bob Nielsen

May 30, 2006, 10:02:41 PM5/30/06
to UGT...@googlegroups.com
Hey Corey,

I just got back from three trips out to the Dugway's over two weeks. If any
of the group want directions to an area of the Geode Bed's that produce
geodes of up to basketball size on a consistent basis. We generally dig
around 60 in two hours time. I would be happy to send the directions to
you. It's always fun to rockhound while out in the Dugway range. LMK Bob
Nielsen

Ghosttown Bob

May 31, 2006, 12:25:36 PM5/31/06
to Utah Ghost Town and Mine Preservation Group
Hey Bob - I am planning on going to the Geode beds sometime in the next
few weeks. I would like your directions, either post them here or send
them to me at bob_g...@byu.edu Did you get any other exploring done
while out there? I hear that there is a good place to get large topaz
crystals somewhere on the north side of the Thomas range, not too far
from the geode beds.

Thanks, Ghosttown Bob

Ghosttown Bob

Bob Nielsen

Jun 21, 2006, 10:49:43 PM6/21/06
to UGT...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bob,

Here are the directions. Take the old Pony Express Trail out and over
Dugway Pass. On the west side you will come upon the BLM sign to the Dugway
Geode Beds. Turn right. Stay on the main road (well travelled) but take
all forks to the left. You will be tempted to take the right fork many
times but you must stay left. It will seem that you are headed out towards
the Salt Flat but it will come back around and approach the Beds from the
West. Eventually you will be paralleling the western side of a bench which
tapers down to the open range. The ground is very disturbed by heavy dirt
moving equipment. You will come to some bentonite clay soil dumps. You can
see how they were digging down with large backhoes looking for geodes. The
ground all the way up the side of the ridge is covered with debris. This is
very deceptive. If you walk between the disturbed area along the first
shelf of the ridge you will find areas where the ground is still virgin.
Start digging. You will need a good pick and shovel. You must be at least
half way up the shelf. We have left many good holes open if you want to
look for them. A railroad bar is also helpful. You will find geodes from
the surface down to several feet. Down about 2 to 3 feet you will run into
a blue-gray bentonite clay. The best and biggest geodes come from this
layer. We have several that are larger than basketballs. It is not unusual
to take 60 or more geodes in 2 hours. The more diggers, the more geodes.
Good luck.

Bob Nielsen

Jun 21, 2006, 10:54:00 PM6/21/06
to UGT...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bob,

You can get good topaz cystals from the north side of the Thomas Range but
be careful because there are many legal claims.

While you are looking for Topaz, I strongly suggest you stop at Agate Hill
in the Drum Mountains where you will find many beautiful colors of agate in
pieces averaging the size of a large candybar. You should also stop at
Butterscotch hill where you can pick up buckets of small river jaspers
polished in an ancient river. They are the size of tictacs. Quite
beautiful. 1/2 mile from Butterscotch Hill you can go to Apache Tear hill
and pick up marble size polished obsidian. Good Luck.