Selfe File Schema

alireza.rm

Aug 15, 2014, 8:54:13 AM8/15/14
to ugrid-inter...@googlegroups.com

Dear All,

Does any one know the schema of selfe files? I could not find any resource which clarify this.
I looked at here but it is hard to figure out the details of each format. In particular I am
interested in "DataFormat v5.0 " schema. Please if you know the schema or you know
some resources which discuss it let me know.

Thanks,
Best,
Alireza

David R Forrest

Aug 15, 2014, 10:06:57 AM8/15/14
to alireza.rm, ugrid-inter...@googlegroups.com
Binary DataFormat v5.0 files are documented at http://www.stccmop.org/CORIE/modeling/selfe/input.html#Global%20output2

NetCDF output files from SELFE have been produced a number of ways, using the combine_output* scripts from http://www.stccmop.org/knowledge_transfer/software/selfe/utilities, or from the the SVN archive. I've made a number of them converting from the binary DataFormat v5.0 directly to netcdf.

The earlier files mostly conform to an earlier HydronetCDF scheme ( http://ches.communitymodeling.org/models/POMches/netcdf.html ) while more recently generated ones have been more ugrid compliant. With the SURA/testbed/comt projects, we've mostly added metadata with NCML to make the files more compliant.

Dave
> --

Dr. David Forrest
d...@vims.edu
804-684-7900w
757-968-5509h
804-413-7125c
#240 Andrews Hall
Virginia Institute of Marine Science
Route 1208, Greate Road
PO Box 1346
Gloucester Point, VA, 23062-1346

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal

Aug 15, 2014, 10:45:57 AM8/15/14
to David R Forrest, alireza.rm, ugrid-inter...@googlegroups.com
If you look here:

https://github.com/pyugrid/pyugrid/tree/master/test_bed

There is some same code (not written by me) that reads SELFE files -
not sure what version, but maybe helpful.

Note that that code is Not integrated with py_ugrid.

Also, while not designed for this, py_ugrid can help serve as a
compliance checker for ugrid netcdf files.

Chris

alireza.rm

Aug 18, 2014, 8:21:45 AM8/18/14
to ugrid-inter...@googlegroups.com, alire...@gmail.com
Hi Dave and Chris,

Thanks for your replies.

Perhaps I was not very clear on my demand. I know there tools to convert selfe to netcdf and other formats and also
reading it. What I am looking  is to make a schema of the file which for instance says: the header contains
these fields with this order, then it comes the hgrid which contains x,y,z,b and then it comes the time varying part, etc.

Currently I am able to read the header and the hgird correctly. My actual problem is to figure out the schema of the time varying part.

The documentation here http://www.stccmop.org/CORIE/modeling/selfe/input.html#Global%20output2  is not very clear about the schema.

Please if you know how figure this out help me.

Thanks,
Best,
Alireza

On Aug 15, 2014, at 8:54 AM, alireza.rm <alire...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Does any one know the schema of selfe files? I could not find any resource which clarify this.
> I looked at here but it is hard to figure out the details of each format. In particular I am
> interested in "DataFormat v5.0 " schema. Please if you know the schema or you know
> some resources which discuss it let me know.
>
> Thanks,
> Best,
> Alireza

Rich Signell

Aug 18, 2014, 8:44:02 AM8/18/14
to alireza.rm, UGRID Interoperability
It seems this discussion would be better suited to a SELFE discussion forum or an offline discussion since it deals with SELFE custom binary format, not UGRID conventions

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/ugrid-interoperability.

Rich Signell
81 Queen St
Falmouth, MA 02540

alireza.rm

Aug 18, 2014, 10:27:37 AM8/18/14
to ugrid-inter...@googlegroups.com, alire...@gmail.com, ri...@signell.us
Hi Rich,

Could you please give me the name of the SELFE discussion forum?
I have googled but could not find it.

Thanks,
Best,
Alireza

#240 Andrews Hall
Virginia Institute of Marine Science
Route 1208, Greate Road
PO Box 1346
Gloucester Point, VA, 23062-1346

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal

Aug 18, 2014, 11:05:07 AM8/18/14
to alireza.rm, ugrid-inter...@googlegroups.com

Perhaps I was not very clear on my demand. I know there tools to convert selfe to netcdf and other formats and also
reading it. What I am looking  is to make a schema of the file which for instance says: the header contains
these fields with this order, then it comes the hgrid which contains x,y,z,b and then it comes the time varying part, etc.

I was assuming you wanted the schema so that you could write a reader. But in any case, reading the source code of functional readers should give you the schema.

-Chris

Currently I am able to read the header and the hgird correctly. My actual problem is to figure out the schema of the time varying part.

The documentation here http://www.stccmop.org/CORIE/modeling/selfe/input.html#Global%20output2  is not very clear about the schema.

Please if you know how figure this out help me.

Thanks,
Best,
Alireza

On Friday, August 15, 2014 4:06:57 PM UTC+2, Dave Forrest wrote:
Binary DataFormat v5.0 files are documented at http://www.stccmop.org/CORIE/modeling/selfe/input.html#Global%20output2

NetCDF output files from SELFE have been produced a number of ways, using the combine_output* scripts from http://www.stccmop.org/knowledge_transfer/software/selfe/utilities, or from the the SVN archive.  I've made a number of them converting from the binary DataFormat v5.0 directly to netcdf.

The earlier files mostly conform to an earlier HydronetCDF scheme ( http://ches.communitymodeling.org/models/POMches/netcdf.html ) while more recently generated ones have been more ugrid compliant.  With the SURA/testbed/comt projects, we've mostly added metadata with NCML to make the files more compliant.

Dave

On Aug 15, 2014, at 8:54 AM, alireza.rm <alire...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Does any one know the schema of selfe files? I could not find any resource which clarify this.
> I looked at here but it is hard to figure out the details of each format. In particular I am
> interested in "DataFormat v5.0 " schema. Please if you know the schema or you know
> some resources which discuss it let me know.
>
> Thanks,
> Best,
> Alireza
>
> --