parallel visualization of ugrid results?

Bert Jagers

Sep 7, 2012, 4:34:25 AM9/7/12
to ugrid-inter...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone tried to visualize high resolution data files based on the
ugrid proposal in a parallel environment, e.g. using Paraview?
I have a meeting next Wednesday Sept 12, and expect questions on this topic.

Cheers,

Bert

DISCLAIMER: This message is intended exclusively for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender immediately and destroy this message. Unauthorized use, disclosure or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.
The foundation 'Stichting Deltares', which has its seat at Delft, The Netherlands, Commercial Registration Number 41146461, is not liable in any way whatsoever for consequences and/or damages resulting from the improper, incomplete and untimely dispatch, receipt and/or content of this e-mail.

Rich Signell

Sep 7, 2012, 9:48:43 AM9/7/12
to ugrid-inter...@googlegroups.com
Bert,
No, but I think it would be really cool. Please let us know what you
find out. ;-)

I asked previously about whether folks have used MayiVi to look at
UGRID format, and the answer was no.

I know David Stuebe has done some work with VisIT (which is parallel
also, a competitor to Paraview) with unstructured FVCOM output in
netCDF, so it *should* be relatively straightforward to convert this
to a UGRID viewer, but I'll let David comment more on that.

-Rich
> --

Dr. Richard P. Signell (508) 457-2229
USGS, 384 Woods Hole Rd.
Woods Hole, MA 02543-1598

Christopher Barker

Sep 7, 2012, 11:25:59 AM9/7/12
On Sep 7, 2012, at 6:48 AM, Rich Signell <rsig...@usgs.gov> wrote:

> I know David Stuebe has done some work with VisIT (which is parallel
> also, a competitor to Paraview) with unstructured FVCOM output in
> netCDF,

The FVCOM folks use VisIT-- you can probably get the plugin either fom
them or maybe it's divered with VisIT now.

It'll probably only be straightforward for triangular meshes, though.

I do have a start on some Python code for working with Ugrid.nc
triangular meshes, if you want to have a go at a paraview importer.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, PhD

Python Language Consulting
- Teaching
- Scientific Software Development
- Desktop GUI and Web Development
- wxPython, numpy, scipy, Cython

Eli Ateljevich

Sep 7, 2012, 5:30:27 PM9/7/12
to Rich Signell, ugrid-inter...@googlegroups.com
We would be very interested in the VisIT part of this.

We (California Dept Water Resources) have started testing a plugin for VisIT
for 2D layered meshes with triangles in projected coordinates and some mix
of S-Z coordinates. The specific effort originates from work with SELFE,
which has a mix of data centerings and also a time dimension. Our more
general interest extends to other meshes that are the cross-product of a
horizontal unstructured mesh and a structured vertical mesh.

We are willing to collaborate or build out our own work a certain distance
to accommodate other people's use cases. In particular, we would be
delighted to get our hands on a mesh with data from 1-2 other groups to make
sure our approach doesn't ignore opportunities and to get a sense how the
UGRID proposal is getting interpreted since I have noticed different
programmers take different liberties.

Whether or not this effort will provide efficient parallel visualization is
another matter. I wrote about some of the issues involved in an earlier
thread.