UGRID in ESMF

Robert Oehmke

Jan 15, 2013, 3:33:20 PM1/15/13
to ugrid-inter...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

 I wanted to give you all an update on how the UGRID format is being used in recent ESMF and ESMP (the Python version of ESMF) releases.

In ESMF versions starting with 5.3.0, UGRID can be used two ways.  First, our offline interpolation weight generation application (ESMF_RegridWeightGen) can read in and produce weights for UGRID files, in addition to other grid file conventions.  Second, if a user application uses ESMF, you can create a mesh object from a UGRID file, build data fields on it,  and perform operations like regridding on those.  The easiest way to take a quick look is the RegridWeightGen application, and the documentation for that is here:
http://earthsystemmodeling.org/esmf_releases/non_public/ESMF_6_1_0/ESMF_refdoc/node3.html#SECTION03020000000000000000

The most recent release of ESMP (ESMF_6_1_0_ESMP_01) also enables you to create a mesh from a UGRID file, build data fields on it, and then interpolate data between the fields using a Python API.  More information is here:http://earthsystemcog.org/projects/esmp/releases

Note, we currently only support a subset of the UGrid convention (2D meshes).   The description of exactly which version of UGrid we based our code on is at the end of the RegridWeightGen documentation, here:http://earthsystemmodeling.org/esmf_releases/non_public/ESMF_6_1_0/ESMF_refdoc/node3.html#SECTION03027000000000000000

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

- Bob Oehmke