New Software to size WQCV Using Continuous Simulation

Ben-UWLLC

Apr 21, 2011, 9:18:36 AM4/21/11
to udfcd-...@googlegroups.com
The Urban Watersheds Research Institute, in cooperation with UDFCD and UCD
have developed new software for the sizing of the Water Quality Capture
Volume (WQCV) using continuous simulation of runoff. The software used the
National Climatologic Data Center hourly or 15-minute rainfall data and
processes it using one of two runoff options (i.e., Rational Method and the
modified Horton's Equation).

It will provide the user with a comprehensive list of WQCVs to choose from
depending on the percent capture volumes or of storm events the user is
designing for a given site and the type of BMP drain time being used. The
maximized WQCV (i.e., the point of diminishing returns) is also identified.
It will provide these findings for any user specified site conditions
anywhere in United States as long as a NCDC rainfall data are available.

The software and the user manual may be downloaded from the following two
URLs:

http://urbanwatersheds.org/software/WQ-COSM%201.0.msi
http://urbanwatersheds.org/software/WQ-COSM_v1.0-Users_Manual.pdf

We would appreciate hearing from you if you use it about its perfomance and
what enhancements you would like to see in the future. E-mail me your
comments to burb...@urbanwatersheds.org.

Ben Urbonas

Ken MacKenzie

Apr 21, 2011, 8:06:19 PM4/21/11
to udfcd-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ben!

This is an extremely valuable software package that will enable anyone
with access to NCDC rainfall data to determine the water quality storage
volume (based on the hydrologic properties of the watershed) for any
criterion they choose, anywhere in the country. It is applicable
anywhere.

Our hats are off to Dr. James C.Y. Guo, who authored the original DOS
program "PONDRISK.EXE" back in the early '90s. That program provided the
foundation for this new software program.

I have posted this software, user manual, and a technical paper describing
the methodology, to the UDFCD website also. These can be accessed at:
http://www.udfcd.org/downloads/down_disclaimer.htm and
http://www.udfcd.org/downloads/down_sw_bmp.htm respectively.

I would love to hear feedback from the group on this new software. -Ken.