Volume 3 documents open for comment

Holly Piza

Jan 19, 2010, 3:41:29 PM1/19/10
to UDFCD-...@googlegroups.com

This email is being sent to USDCM Volume 3 stakeholders, Technical Advisory Committee members, and other interested parties.  This is to announce that the first of two USDCM Volume 3 review packages is now posted.

Everyone interested in this manual is welcome and encouraged to provide comments on any or all of the drafts.  We ask that you email your comments to me by February 15th.  We are also asking for volunteers to review a new effective impervious spreadsheet developed for sites that integrate LID practices.  Please email me if you are interested.  This would also serve as a good way to start getting familiar with the changes in criteria as well as the spreadsheets.

The following sections are currently available at http://sites.google.com/a/udfcd.org/udfcd-criteria-manual/ in draft form:

Preface (See this document for a description of what’s contained in each chapter.)

Chapter 1 Stormwater Management and Planning

Chapter 2 BMP Selection

Chapter 3 Calculating the WQCV and Volume Reduction

Chapter 4 Treatment BMPs

Treatment BMP Fact sheets:

            T-01 Grass Buffers

            T-02 Grass Swale

            T-03 Bioretention (also known as Porous Landscape Detention or Rain Gardens)

            T-05 Extended Detention Basin (EDB) Note: Outlet details will be available in the second review package.

            T-11 Underground BMPs

Chapter 6 BMP Maintenance (for all treatment BMPs)

What’s happened so far…

We have had a series of “core group” meetings including:

BMP Decision Support System,

LID,

Incentives,

Detention, Retention, and Constructed Wetlands,

Permeable Pavements,

Vegetative BMPs, and

Underground BMPs.

Each core group is comprised of approximately 20 people who represent communities within the UDFCD, the WWE consultant team, and other entities such as the EPA, CDPHE, CSU, CU Denver.  Individuals that may have specific interest or experience in the above topics have also been included.

Members of the above core groups signed up for participation at one of two technical advisory committee meetings or responded to email requests for additional participants that were sent to the Technical Advisory Committee (TAC).

What’s to come…

This is the beginning of the TAC review and comment period.  All remaining chapters will be made approximately February 15th

Responding to Comments

Sections that pertain to the above referenced core groups have gone through at least one set of comments from the core group.  These sections will also be provided to the TAC and will, therefore; serve as a subsequent review for core group members.  All comments received from the core groups have been reviewed and the sections have been modified per the comments received.  If you provided comments that were not addressed please contact me for additional information.  I am happy to provide a response on request.  There are a variety of reasons that a comment may not have been addressed in the latest draft.  Some comments were in direct conflict with other comments or were not in keeping with the policy or views of the UDFCD.  It is also possible that a comment could have been misunderstood so please do not hesitate to inquire.

Best Regards,

Holly Piza, PE, CFM

Project Engineer

Master Planning Program

Urban Drainage and Flood Control District

2480 W 26th Ave, Suite 156-B

Denver, CO 80211

303.455.6277

303.455.7880 fax

www.udfcd.org

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4786 (20100119) __________

http://www.eset.com

Richard Husmann

Jan 19, 2010, 5:30:17 PM1/19/10
to udfcd-...@googlegroups.com

Richard Husmann

Jan 19, 2010, 5:32:45 PM1/19/10
to udfcd-...@googlegroups.com

Ben-UWLLC

Jan 26, 2010, 9:02:18 AM1/26/10
to udfcd-...@googlegroups.com

Holly,

In looking over the drafts that you posted, one other thought occurred to me and that is to add to the “Overview” table at beginning of each BMP a line evaluating “MS4 Administrative Relative Burden/Cost”.  In it you would rank how much each type of BMP adds to the local MS4 the burden and cost of “Ensuring” its perpetual continuation of function as designed and installed.  Thus, EDB would fall in the low to moderate level because of the surface access and visibility and the ability to serve larger or sub-regional tributary areas.  On the other hand a PLD would be high because of the large numbers of installations that have to be inspected and tracked over time and underground would be even higher because of lack of visibility and difficulty to access to inspect.

This would add another dimension for MS4s to consider when seeing which BMPs will server their needs best.

How is our trip this Thursday looking?  Forecast calls for snow  and temperatures in mid 30’s.

Ben Urbonas, P.E., D.WRE

Urban Watersheds, LLC

303-765-0155 (O & F)