T&T: "Monkey Sh-t"

1 view

Michael Bragg

Nov 28, 2007, 2:34:55 PM11/28/07
to trawlers-an...@lists.samurai.com
Hey All,

Back in my Navy days, working in Aft Engine Room on an repair
ship, we had lots of cables (electric wires) running around - and passing thru
bulkheads and into junction boxes, etc. At each point they passed into or thru
something there was a tube or pipe that supported and protected the cable.
The Electrician's Mates would then pack "monkey sh-t" into the tube, around
the cable - waterproofing and securing the cable(s) in the tube. (Sometimes
there was a cap fitted to properly seal over the packing, many times not.) If
you needed to pull the cable, or run another cable thru the tube, you just
pulled this pacing back out, run the cable(s), and repack it when done. This
stuff was tacky, very-slow to dry out (only after years), could be shaped with
your hands, and worked great...

I am (still) rennovating my old trawler
and getting into the "re-wiring" part of the project this winter. I have
several bulkhead penetrations planned, and will fit "tubes" large enough that
I can run additional wires thru later, and would love to figure out how to get
some of this packing material... problem is, I only know the Navy slang name
for it - and "googling" isn't helping. Any salty dogs out there know what I'm
talking about?

You help is greatly appreciated!

- Mike

Trawlers & Trawlering and T&T are trademarks of Water World
Productions. Unauthorized use is prohibited.

John Tones

Nov 28, 2007, 5:16:50 PM11/28/07
to michae...@compendiumusa.com, trawlers-an...@lists.samurai.com
some of this packing material... problem is, I only know the Navy slang name

Mike - I think what you are looking for is "Duct Seal" and if you Google
for it there are lots or hits although we used to have another "slang"
name for it in reference to bears but that was probably because there
are no monkeys in Western Canada!!!.
I have used this product for years to do just what you describe both in
the marine and land communications field. It is gray and has the
composition of kids play dough, never hardens and can be re-used for
ever. The product made by Panduit is rated for use from -30 F to 190 F
so it would work even in your engine room.
Hope this helps
John Tones "Penta"
Sidney, BC

John Gaquin

Nov 28, 2007, 5:41:30 PM11/28/07
to michae...@compendiumusa.com, trawlers-an...@lists.samurai.com
I don't know about the salty dog part, but lo those many years ago
when I was in the USAF, we used a similar sounding substance that was
called "Kearney Air Seal". They also make an "Aqua Seal". Check
these out at

http://www.cooperpower.com/library/literature/section.asp?ProductLineID=27

or just google Kearney Air Seal.

JG

On Nov 28, 2007 2:34 PM, Michael Bragg <michae...@compendiumusa.com> wrote:
> Hey All,
> <snip>
>.....Any salty dogs out there know what I'm
> talking about?

Rich Werner

Nov 28, 2007, 6:51:31 PM11/28/07
to trawlers-an...@lists.samurai.com
I've found what I think you are talking about at big electrical supply
houses and possibly at Lowes or Home Depot. Labeled from Thomas and Betts
as Blackburn Duct Seal

http://www.galesburgelectric.com/store/product.php?productid=5210

Rich
______________________________

Rich & Laura Werner
GB32-277

Mike Pedersen

Nov 28, 2007, 7:57:28 PM11/28/07
to michae...@compendiumusa.com, trawlers-an...@lists.samurai.com
Any salty dogs out there know what I'm
> talking about?

I just learned the "proper" name last month of DuctSeal myself after 20
years of calling it by the Navy vernacular. It's good stuff. We used to
have a guy on board the sub who would create miniature lifelike faces in it
with the excess at the bulkhead penetrations...

Mike Pedersen
Northern Spy
Powell River, BC

Ed Bruette

Nov 28, 2007, 10:17:42 PM11/28/07
to Mike Pedersen, michae...@compendiumusa.com, trawlers-an...@lists.samurai.com
What? There's another submariner on the list? Watch out, 2 more of us and
we'll have everyone else surrounded!

Ed
PT-38 "Makin' Do"
Poulsbo, WA

Woody and Kathy

Nov 28, 2007, 11:51:31 PM11/28/07
to michae...@compendiumusa.com, trawlers-an...@lists.samurai.com
Top all:

Please use newly manufactured MS.......the nice 'old' Navy spec (sealant,
penetration, electrical)stuff was composed of whiting,for body; PCB oil,to
both make it moldable and to fireproof it; asbestos fiber,to give it
strength; and arsenic (the green colour) to kill the rats gnawing on it.
So..........if you do find some surplus know it will function better and
longer than what you will get today, but is hazardous.

Woody
Marben 27
Port Orchard, WA