T&T: Removing mildew stains

Milt Baker via Trawlers-and-Trawlering

Mar 13, 2019, 12:44:41 PM3/13/19
to Trawlers and Trawlering List
My AB hypalon RIB has had stubborn mildew stains for years, especially on
the rubber (?) rubrails. I've tried getting rid of the stains by scrubbing
with many different compounds including bleach and Simple Green, but never
succeeded in getting rid of them. Today, shopping in a Publix supermarket
here in Key West, I spotted Publix brand "MildewRemover" and bought a
32-oz. bottle--with low expectations.

When I returned to the boat, I followed the directions, sprayed the RIB's
rub rails liberally, then allowed the solution to soak in place for 15-20
minutes. No scrubbing required, but I did wipe the rails with paper
towels. Voila . . . much to my surprise the mildew stains were about 98%
gone. I re-sprayed the most stubborn spots, and now the stains are 100%
gone. I used fresh water to rinse the treated areas, and the rub rail
looks like new.

Next, I'll remove the Sunbrella dinghy chaps and treat the hypalon, but I
did a test on a small patch with the same excellent results.

Since I just did this, I have no information on the long-term effects of
this treatment, but at a price of $2.45 it seems a real bargain. I'll be
surprised if it impacts the rubrails or hypalon in a bad way, but no
guarantees. As the saying goes, YMMV!

For those of you with no Publix nearby, the active ingredient in this
product is "sodium hypochlorite 2.26%" and other ingredients, mostly water
I'm guessing, 97.74%.

Milt Baker, Nordhavn 47 Bluewater
Trawlers & Trawlering and T&T are trademarks of Water World
Productions. Unauthorized use is prohibited.

Milt Baker via Trawlers-and-Trawlering

Mar 13, 2019, 12:49:39 PM3/13/19
[...]

Milt Baker, N4732 Bluewater

Matthew Hahn via Trawlers-and-Trawlering

Mar 13, 2019, 3:56:42 PM3/13/19
to Milt Baker, traw...@lists.trawlering.com
Milt,
Sodium hypochlorite is the primary ingredient in bleach which is about 5%.
I suspect the "other ingredients" may have had something to do with your
success. Have you tried an oxalic acid based product previously? (it
essentially attacks only organic compounds)
-Matt

For those of you with no Publix nearby, the active ingredient in this
product is "sodium hypochlorite 2.26%" and other ingredients, mostly water
I'm guessing, 97.74%.

---

Frank Burrows via Trawlers-and-Trawlering

Mar 13, 2019, 4:28:50 PM3/13/19
to traw...@lists.trawlering.com
I have also found the Publix mildew product to be very effective.

I did some research a while back and the same product is also
manufactured under the name Mean Green Mildew Destroyer.

On 3/13/2019 12:43 PM, Milt Baker via Trawlers-and-Trawlering wrote:
> For those of you with no Publix nearby, the active ingredient in this
> product is "sodium hypochlorite 2.26%" and other ingredients, mostly water
> I'm guessing, 97.74%.
>
> Milt Baker, Nordhavn 47 Bluewater

---

Bob McLeran via Trawlers-and-Trawlering

Mar 13, 2019, 5:10:05 PM3/13/19
to traw...@lists.trawlering.com
A similar product from Dollar General is Mold and Mildew Remover. Sells
locally for $1.80 a spray bottle. It does a great job of removing
mildew, with results similar to those reported by Milt. I had never
heard of the stuff until a boat detailer who was cleaning Sanderling
during a haulout this past August told me about it. Now we keep several
bottles of the stuff aboard - it's great.

<><><><><><><><><><><><>Mozilla Thunderbird<><><><><><><><><><>
Bob McLeran and Judy Young Manatee Cove Marina
MV Sanderling Patrick Air Force Base
DeFever 41 Trawler Melbourne, Florida
Blog: http://mvsanderling.net/Blog
Web: http://cruising.mvsanderling.net/

On 3/13/2019 12:48 PM, Milt Baker via Trawlers-and-Trawlering wrote:
> Today, shopping in a Publix supermarket
> here in Key West, I spotted Publix brand "MildewRemover" and bought a
> 32-oz. bottle--with low expectations.

Fred via Trawlers-and-Trawlering

Mar 13, 2019, 8:47:17 PM3/13/19
to traw...@lists.trawlering.com
Sodium hypochlorite is also what your Lectra Scan/ Electro San generates to do its job.
Wonderful stuff.

Fred Sorensen
MTOA 3571

Sent from my iPad which is responsible for all grammar errors.

T D via Trawlers-and-Trawlering

Mar 14, 2019, 9:18:43 PM3/14/19
to traw...@lists.trawlering.com
Try a magic eraser. Great on vinyl too.