T&T: Teak Decks

MY ALLEZ via Trawlers-and-Trawlering

Feb 15, 2019, 2:35:30 PM2/15/19
to traw...@lists.trawlering.com
Randy: Yep to each his own
Our 1992 Marine Trader Widebody has the traditional lines and look complete with teak side decks, and bow rails. Rails are Yacht finish and we have canvas covers. Teak sliding pilot house doors under cover as are the side decks.

Our decks we let turn silver/natural and wash occasionally with sudsy ammonia and water, just like the big Sport Fish Guys.

Teak is in short supply, your right, thus such products AS Plasteak and others.

Folks, most, like the teak look
But many don’t want to take care of it

Teak carvings in doors below deck is a signature of Marine Traders. Visitors who have visited onboard love the attractive warm look of teak. The amount on deck is sufficient to
Exude the classic Trawler look.
Passage Maker Mag in a Trawler article said ALLEZ! had the appearance inside of a English Cottage. Homey & Warm.
We have a great lives-board Vessel

Bob Kovach

Sent from my iPhone
Chief Engineer Bob Kovach (KJ4UGE)
Onboard M/Y ALLEZ!

GOLD LOOPER 5-2-2016
MTOA2631, USCG-CWOA, WRCC, AGLCA-1979, USPS CHARLESTON, S.C.

Trawlers & Trawlering and T&T are trademarks of Water World
Productions. Unauthorized use is prohibited.

Douglas Rowe via Trawlers-and-Trawlering

Feb 16, 2019, 7:39:16 AM2/16/19
to traw...@lists.trawlering.com

We have teak decks in our 1995 GB36. I was getting screw heads in the aft deck from where it had been abraded away. I pulled the aft deck, which was the worst last spring, then had the yard glass and paint it.

I redid the caulk on the side decks where it needed it. No leaks before or after. But pulling teak and the caulk was a lot of fun.

Sent from iPhone

Dh Rowe

MY ALLEZ via Trawlers-and-Trawlering

Feb 21, 2019, 2:03:41 PM2/21/19
to dwjoh...@gmail.com, traw...@lists.trawlering.com
John I removed my teak and added 2 layers of 1.5 OZ Fiberglas Matt. I am the guy

Your showing screw heads means deck to thin will not
Hold teak bungs. Teak is cracking it will get worst

Your rainex IMHO is just a band aid to a looming larger problem. It will eventually come back to bite you And cost will
Be a lot More that rainex and sunbrella. If you go to sell the boat later a good buyers surveyor will catch it. The old saying “ Oay me now ir pay me later”

Safe cruising

Bob Kovach
Charleston SC

Sent from my iPhone
Chief Engineer Bob Kovach (KJ4UGE)
Onboard M/Y ALLEZ!

GOLD LOOPER 5-2-2016
MTOA2631, USCG-CWOA, WRCC, AGLCA-1979, USPS CHARLESTON, S.C.

David VanDenburgh via Trawlers-and-Trawlering

Feb 21, 2019, 5:10:09 PM2/21/19
to MY ALLEZ, traw...@lists.trawlering.com, dwjoh...@gmail.com
In my opinion, the worst thing about aging teak decks is the likelihood that water will intrude via a screw hole. Then it’s into the deck core to cause rot. Or, by devious routes, to drip into the interior to damage woodwork there (and to drive you nuts trying to figure out where it’s coming from and how to stop it). The only sure cure is to take up all the deck teak, plug all the screw holes, and (probably) lay new fiberglass and resin over the whole deck with new nonskid. We are in the process of an experiment to see if we can remove the teak boards and re-lay them on top of a new fiberglass deck - by gluing, not screwing. We’ll report back.

Sent from my iPhone