T&T: followup on stuck zinc electrode

Bruce Adornato via Trawlers-and-Trawlering

Mar 24, 2019, 6:18:16 PM3/24/19
to Trawlers-and-Trawlering
Since things seem slow on the forum, i will tell you followup on stuck zinc.
I finally bought a 18 inch ratchet arm after the 12 inch 7/8 box wrench
would not budge and with a prayer tried to first clockwise tighten..no
movement. Then with more prayer muscled it loose. It was corroded in there
after only 4 months. The "factory trained" $130/hr Yanmar mechanic used
teflon tape instead of anti seize on it.
Then the other zinc I changed was found to still have the SKU made in China
paper sticker still on it. ?/!@?
The last zinc bronze base unscrewed from the pencil zinc with the zinc
sitting in there and luckily i was able to extract it with forceps rather
than have it drop into the cooler.
Lesson learned. Do your own maintenance.

Bruce Adornato
Mainship 30 Sarah McLean
Sausalito CA
Trawlers & Trawlering and T&T are trademarks of Water World
Productions. Unauthorized use is prohibited.