HackTO: Second edition

Melina

Aug 17, 2010, 2:33:53 PM8/17/10
to TorCamp
Hi folks,

For those of you familiar with last May's HackTO event (and especially
for those of you who aren't familiar with it!), we are holding a
second event on Saturday, September 25th. This is a fun and
challenging all-day-hack-a-thon for developers, startups, and techies
alike. *Tantalizing* details below!

Know someone who might be interested? Help spread the word! http://www.hackto.ca

Thanks

Melina Stathopoulos

---

*Overview*

HackTO is a gathering of the very best of Toronto's technology folks,
coming together for one day of mad coding.

The idea behind HackTO is to round up various APIs from local tech
startups and make them available to local developers. Working in teams
or solo, the developers compete to create the coolest application
using one or more of the APIs made available.

Developer tickets for HackTO are just $10 and registration is open now
on Guestlist: http://guestlistapp.com/events/27444

*History*

About 50 people attended the first HackTO this past May, held at Idee
Inc. Prizes for the best applications included an iPad, a $500 GC for
the Apple store, and a $250 GC for Amazon. We had excellent volunteer
judges including Jonas Brandon, April Dunford and Joe Stump.

The first HackTO was sponsored by CanPages, FreshBooks, Idee, OPENApps
and PostRank. We received a lot of positive feedback, and it was
amazing to see some truly excellent applications borne out of limited
time and resources. HackTO is hacking at its best.

*Schedule*

HackTO runs all day; ample breakfast, lunch, snacks and coffee are
provided. The general schedule is as follows:

9:00 – Breakfast and introductions
9:30 – API presentation
10:15 – Open Planning
10:30 – Hacking setup and start
Noon – Lunch
1:00 – Hacking
5:00 – Application presentation – 5 minutes for each presenter!
5:30 – Judging and prizes
6:00 – Off to nearby pub for celebrations!