Topicscape on a Netbook

Larry

Oct 12, 2010, 5:30:10 PM10/12/10
to Topicscape
I just installed Topicscape on my netbook. I realize that my netbook
screen resolution doesn't meet the minimum requirements for Topicscape
(1024 x 768). Like many netbooks, mine is 1024 x 600. I'm bummed out.
Is there any way you could re-work the interface so it will
accommodate a netbook. I have no doubt that in the future,
manufacturers will increase the netbook screen resolution. There are
just too many applications that can't handle 1024 x 600, but in the
meantime.....

Argey

Oct 12, 2010, 11:29:20 PM10/12/10
to Topicscape
Hi Larry,

We've always regarded 1024 x 768 as a minimum for legible text
generated in 3D, and have never actually tried it on a netbook.

But I'm not sure what you mean by "rework the interface so it will
accommodate a netbook." Topicscape will run even at 800 x 600
resolution, so 1024 x 600 should be OK.

On a netbook, we would be concerned about 3D graphics, CPU and disk
performance, given the demands of continuous accessing of the
relational database, repainting the screen, and recalculating the
layout of the 3D landscape whenever there is a change of Current
Topic.

If your netbook does not have a suitable 3D graphics adapter, we
cannot make it run. What happens when you try to run it?

Argey

Larry

Oct 13, 2010, 1:47:09 AM10/13/10
to Topicscape
Hi Argey

So far I haven't had problems running Topicscape with the Netbook's
graphics adapter. The main problem is that some of the windows are
chopped off because of the resolution.

For example, the bottom of the Options screen with the preferences tab
is cut off. What I'm experimenting with as a crude workaround is
trying out a software application called Screenspace Lite, which
allows me to increase a window size and reposition it (see one of the
attached screen prints).

I don't seem to be able to work with the side of the Topic Center
Screen to get it to appear totally. I'll continue to check out this
software.

So again, my question about reworking the interface meant things such
as making the various windows/screens smaller so they would fit in a
screen area of 1024 x 600 which is what? -- a 10.1 inch screen? The
text seems readable on the screen.

I haven't given Topicscape enough of a test to check on the speed,
which I realize could be an issue on a netbook.

Larry

Larry Kahn

Oct 13, 2010, 12:42:00 AM10/13/10
to topic...@googlegroups.com
Hi Argey,
Options_Preference Screen.jpg
Options_Preference With ScreenSpaceLite.jpg
Topic Center.jpg
Topicscape Main.jpg

Argey

Oct 13, 2010, 6:01:01 AM10/13/10
to Topicscape
I moderated in all three of your most recent messages, but for some
reason only two are showing at present.

Anyway ...

Our original 1024 x 768 minimum screen size policy decision goes very
deep, and reworking to overcome this would touch very many corners of
the software. We'll consider it, but ... hmmm. Some of the problems
might be solved by not running full screen. The window sizing does
its best with whatever the user gives it.

To allow for full and accurate automation of mouse movements, all of
the six introductory demos force a 1024 x 768 window. So that will
definitely present a problem on your screen. Fixing that alone would
take several days btw.

The black trapezoid on the right of the screen does indicate a
graphics problem. That might be solved by updating the graphics
driver, if the hardware has the necessary capabilities.

Regards,
Argey
>  Options_Preference Screen.jpg
> 244KViewDownload
>
>  Options_Preference With ScreenSpaceLite.jpg
> 267KViewDownload
>
>  Topic Center.jpg
> 184KViewDownload
>
>  Topicscape Main.jpg
> 238KViewDownload

Larry Kahn

Oct 17, 2010, 1:36:17 AM10/17/10
to topic...@googlegroups.com
Hopefully you got my email below,

One additional thing I noticed on my netbook. I have found that none of the mouse double clicks seem to work. If I single left click the mouse, it makes the topic I clicked on the current one. To go to the Topic Center, I have to click on the icon. I've tried this with the halo menu both on and off.

FYI. I'm just slowly feeling my way around on the netbook. Other than the minor issues, nothing serious yet.

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 6:14 PM, Larry Kahn wrote:
I suppose that one key question might be how many users would use, are using or would consider using Topicscape on a netbook. Then you decide based on data or projections whether it is worth considering.

Maybe I had had heavy resource load on my computer when I took the previous screenshots. The ones attached to this message don't show the black trapezoid.

I really wouldn't expect the various demos to be redone and realize that screen resizing can't be done by the user with the demos.

Larry

Larry Kahn

Oct 13, 2010, 6:14:32 AM10/13/10
to topic...@googlegroups.com
Main Screen No Black Trap.jpg
Options_Preference No Black Trap.jpg
Quick Options No Black.jpg

Argey

Oct 17, 2010, 4:12:29 AM10/17/10
to Topicscape
Thanks for that additional info Larry.

The double click problem is unexpected. Some click problems (e.g.
failure to select when clicking) are due to graphics driver issues.
Some Intel graphics drivers had that problem at one time. What
graphics chipset is in your netbook?

Judging the demand is difficult, because you are the first person to
contact us about running Topicscape on a netbook. But judging the
investment needed is fairly easy - it would be considerable, because
of the way the design assumption of at least a 1024 x768 screen
permeates everything. We'd also have to buy one or more netbooks for
testing, but that would be a minor part.

Argey

On Oct 13, 6:14 pm, Larry Kahn <singtom...@gmail.com> wrote:
> *I suppose that one key question might be how many users would use, are
> using or would consider using Topicscape on a netbook. Then you decide based
> on data or projections whether it is worth considering.*
> *
> *
> *Maybe I had had heavy resource load on my computer when I took the previous
> screenshots. The ones attached to this message don't show the black
> trapezoid.*
> *
> *
> *I really wouldn't expect the various demos to be redone and realize that
> screen resizing can't be done by the user with the demos.
> *
> Larry
>
>  Main Screen No Black Trap.jpg
> 267KViewDownload
>
>  Options_Preference No Black Trap.jpg
> 243KViewDownload
>
>  Quick Options No Black.jpg
> 317KViewDownload

Larry Kahn

Oct 17, 2010, 5:09:00 AM10/17/10
to topic...@googlegroups.com
My netbook has the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150 version
8.14.10.2117, which is the latest. Yeah, I do understand that this is
pretty underpowered. I've heard nightmare stories about the humidity in
the Philippines destroying computers after 1-2 years. I needed
something ultra-portable and cheap, just in case, and the Toshiba I
bought was a mid range choice. If it weren't for the humidity danger,
I'm sure the way to go would be the Alienware gaming netbook with a 1280
x 720 screen and an NVDIA graphics card, with an 11.6 inch screen. No
doubt that would probably be overkill, though.

Larry

Argey

Oct 17, 2010, 5:47:13 AM10/17/10
to Topicscape
There's a review of the graphics here:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Graphics-Media-Accelerator-3150.23264.0.html
"The Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150 or GMA 3150 is an
integrated (shared memory) graphics card that is located on the
processor package of the Intel Atom N4xx processors. The graphics core
is based on a GMA X3100 design (according to Intel) but features only
two processor cores clocked at 200 MHz. Therefore, the performance is
only a bit better than the old GMA 950 found in many Netbooks with
N270 Atom CPUs.

"The 3D performance of the GMA 3150 is therefore only suited for some
low demanding 3D games in low details. In our tests only the old Quake
3 Arena ran fluently (even with high detail settings). Furthermore,
Torchlight ran more or less fluently in 800x600 - low, but Fraps only
showed 10fps. More modern low demanding games like Trackmania Nations
Forever or Left 4 Dead only showed a slideshow. In our tests with the
Dell Mini 1018 many modern games didn't even start (driver
8.14.10.2117)"

Given that Topicscape generates all visible text in 3D on the fly,
it's pretty surprising that it is working as well as it is.

The double-click problem may well be a bug in the Intel driver (even
though you have the latest). You can read about a former problem that
we had with an Intel graphics driver here:
http://www.topicscape.com/topicscape-wiki/index.php?title=Graphics_problems#Can.27t_select_items_in_the_.27Scape_.2F_periodic_crashes_with_Intel_graphics

It makes me wonder if for the sake of price they have re-used the die
of one of the old chipsets mentioned there and repeated the former
driver problem.

Argey

Larry Kahn

Oct 17, 2010, 6:40:18 PM10/17/10
to topic...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the info. Actually, considering the low end specs, I too have been surprised that graphics intensive apps have run as well as they do on my netbook.

Larry