Briggs' Jig

1 view

RobMac

Sep 16, 2008, 6:12:15 AM9/16/08
to Minstrel Banjo
I've recorded a video of my attempt at Briggs' Jig. I wanted to
explore further a more vigorous stroke with the index finger (with
false nail), but I also tried out something I've observed in Tim's
playing...When there are quite a few index finger notes in a row, I've
noticed, Tim, that your thumb rests on the index finger. I assume this
is a gentle resting, not pressure on the thumb to stiffen it. I notice
my hand immediately relaxes when I do this.

The second half of the 'jig' provides a good opportunity for hammering
the index while the thumb is busy on the fifth.

I like the idea of alternating passages of slight stiffness with
relaxation. The concept of stiffening any finger is so alien to me,
and is turning out to be the most difficult thing for me to do. I'm
not trying to be very stiff, just a little so that the finger goes
through the string.

So, gentlemen, is this any closer?

http://www.banjohangout.org/myhangout/videos.asp?m=d&catID=0&id=1376&styleID=0

Sorry the first two notes have disappeared...poor editing. They were
the best-played notes, of course!

Rob MacKillop

Rob MacKillop

Sep 16, 2008, 6:28:45 AM9/16/08
to Minstrel Banjo
Correction: I meant to say 'not pressure on the index finger to stiffen it'...

Rob

2008/9/16 RobMac lutep...@googlemail.com

Tim Twiss

Sep 16, 2008, 8:24:19 AM9/16/08
to Tom-B...@googlegroups.com
Rob, that was great! I hope it felt as good as it looked and sounded.
Totally cool.

Converse, in his extensive description of this movement on page 14 of the
Analytical Method, concludes his remarks by saying "The perfection of this
movement is not so much dependent upon length of stroke, velocity, or
strength, as firmness and directness". I also find that my hand relaxes when
I use the Hammer Stroke. It adds support, and allows the hand to relax while
firmly striking a note.

Rob MacKillop

Sep 16, 2008, 12:34:28 PM9/16/08
to Tom-B...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tim. I'm a little worried that my thumb ends up just dangling in no-man's land while it should be resting on the fifth. Was it Briggs who said the thumb should be on the fifth when the index is playing, and vice versa? That might be a comment aimed at beginners, though, although that is what I am.

Rob

trapdoor2

Sep 16, 2008, 5:27:04 PM9/16/08
to Minstrel Banjo
Hi Rob,

Beginners...but it is well to start out having somewhere to park that
thumb until you gain control over it. This is typical in clawhamper
as well...but often taken to extremes by some. Considering your
previous life as a master lutenist (lautist?), I expect you'll come to
grips with it in jig time.

Thumb position is (no different than anything else in life)
conditional. If you are playing finger strokes alone, ensuring the
thumb dwells on the 5th string can act as a stabilizing influence or a
"home plate"...similar to having one's pinky stuck to the head for
'fingerstyle' playing.

However, if one is attempting to play a series of strikes using finger
and thumb on interior strings, parking that thumb on the 5th every
time quickly becomes a hindrance...and if made a habit, can lead to
incontinence, blindness or worse. =8^0

Sorry.

In reality, I want my playing to feature an economy of movement, no
habitual grasps at the 5th and no flailing about (unless the audience
demands some showmanship). I was showing a student last night how to
make consecutive pull/push-off's on adjacent strings via a "figure
eight" movement and extolling the virtues of "economy of movement",
etc. (alas, on deaf ears I'm afraid). The "claw" one makes with ones
hand should be comfortable and free from stress. As Tim relates, the
movements should be deliberate. Of course, it takes lots of practice!

So, while I do agree there is some merit in parking one's thumb on the
fifth, I believe it should be addressed as just another technique in
the toolbox.

BTW, with a bit of a search, you may find lengthy discussion on this
concept on the Banjohangout. Many opinions: pro, con and middling...

===Marc

On Sep 16, 11:34 am, "Rob MacKillop" <luteplay...@googlemail.com>