A question about an 1854 performance

Erich Schroeder

Nov 25, 2008, 7:02:32 PM11/25/08
to Tom-B...@googlegroups.com
There is an interesting question on the Banjo Hangout about the
performance of a minstrel show on an American ship in Japan in 1854.
The person asking looks to be using a translation program, so I
thought I would rather point this group to the question rather than
suggesting that he join this group.

http://www.banjohangout.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=132358

eks
http://vrteach.org/banjo/
http://prairiegrapevine.org/

val

Nov 25, 2008, 7:37:31 PM11/25/08
to Minstrel Banjo
hi Erich.
I enter this group already.
Now, I thought ask the same question this group.

I using a translation program.
Erich You are right!!

Satoshi Hara.

val

Nov 25, 2008, 8:46:56 PM11/25/08
to Minstrel Banjo
I'm looking for are:

Sally Weaver
Sally is De Gal for Me
Old Tar River
Canal Boys

I found "Ole Tare River" in book of“The Birth of the Banjo" written by
Bob Carlin.
Is "Ole Tare River " and " Old Tar River" same song?

Carson Hudson

Nov 28, 2008, 11:16:31 PM11/28/08
to Minstrel Banjo
Admiral Perry "opened" Japan in 1854 by bringing several ships into
Japanese waters and trying to impress them with western technology. He
used one of the ships' minstrel group (composed of U.S. seamen) to
entertain Japanese officials. They apparently gave several
performances aboard their ship during their stay. There is an
interesting Japanese painting of them performing. I'll try and post a
copy to the group files.

Carson Hudson
Historical Diversions
historicaldiversions.homestead.com