The Rattle of the Bones is Coming to Saint Louis

Scott C. Miller

Sep 17, 2008, 12:09:47 AM9/17/08
to Tom-B...@googlegroups.com
Just about everyone on this list knows that bone rattling
can energize a minstrel tune in a way that delights your
audience and makes them take notice.

I guess that's why Stephen C. Foster penned this catchy
phrase into Ring, Ring De Banjo:

"De ladies nebber weary Wid de rattle of de bones"

Yes, Foster knew bone rattling was hot stuff in minstrel
music. And so do you. So if you want to see and hear more
bone rattlin' than you can shake a stick at, then here's
good news--

In just a few weeks bone players from around the country
will gather in Saint Louis the weekend of October 17-19 for
the first ever Bones Fest held west of the Mississippi
River. Bones Fest is the largest gathering of bone players
on the planet - and it is a real hoot, so you won't want to
miss it.

The highlight of the event is the Grand Bones Fest Show
which is free and open to the public. Bones Fest also
features beginning and advanced bones workshops, jam
sessions, a bones museum, and the world's largest bones
marketplace. Cost is $35 if you register online, or $40 at
the door. Got a tight budget? Check out the low-cost dorm
room accommodations for a paltry 15 bucks a night!

Here is where you can get detailed information about Bones
Fest XII and register now:
http://www.rhythmbones.com/

No doubt Stephen Foster (and those ladies) would bubble in
delight. Hope to see you there!

Scott Miller
Saint Louis, Missouri
Co-host, Bones Fest XII

..

Carl Anderton

Sep 17, 2008, 6:50:06 PM9/17/08
to Minstrel Banjo
That sounds like a good time, Scott. I want to see iffin' any one
else can play as good as you can.

I'll try and arrange a kitchen pass.

Scott C. Miller ha escrito:

Scott C. Miller

Sep 18, 2008, 2:19:04 PM9/18/08
to Tom-B...@googlegroups.com
Carl,

Thank you for the kind words.

Unfortunately, at least three of the world's top players
cannot attend Bones Fest this year because of scheduling
conflicts.

One of them is Kenny Wolin, percussionist and resident bones
and anglo concertina player with the "Presidents Own" United
States Marine Band. If anyone is near Chicago that weekend,
the band will be on tour in my other hometown, Evanston,
Illinois.

Carl, let me know if you score the pass. Maybe you can join
me on stage during my slot Saturday night? As my guest
musician you would get an official name badge, can jam with
bonesists throughout the weekend and attend workshops at
"Bones University." We can put you up on our lumpy futon.
But you might want to reserve one of those $15 per night
dorm rooms so you can get a decent bed and stay in the heart
of all the action. In fact, I might reserve one myself.

Bones

..

Carl Anderton

Sep 18, 2008, 8:39:12 PM9/18/08
to Minstrel Banjo
WooHoo! Major incentive there, pal! I'll redouble my efforts to
arrange a pass. I used my vacation time scheduled for the cancelled
Wundstock wisely, and did tons of house cleaning/yard cleaning/fixer-
upping. I therefore feel justified in asking for some special time
off. Whether the boss feels the same way remains to be seen...but I'm
reasonably confident.

Sounds like a blast! It'll be interesting to compare styles. You've
always impressed me as an "artistic" player, one not tied down too
much by conventional licks and patterns.

Hey Tim, wanna come along???