Banjourneys update: reviews, online concert, videos, schedule

chuck

May 16, 2010, 6:17:44 PM5/16/10
to Minstrel Banjo

Chuck Levy/Banjourneys Update: www.banjourneys.com

Hello Friends,

Just a note of some items, which may be of interest. See below for 1)
Early Comments/reviews of Banjourneys from Tony Trischka, Mac Benford,
Daniel Jatta, and Don Nitchie, 2) A Chuck Levy concert archived on the
web, 3) new youtube videos of Mac Benford , Adam Hurt, and Chuck
Levy. 4) Upcoming events.

1) Banjourneys, my new CD recorded and produced by Bob Carlin, and
featuring Mike Eberle and David Forbes has been drawing a lot of
positive notice getting ariplay in various markets across the US,
Europe , Australia, and Israel; It is very satisfying to learn that
Tony Trischka, Mac Benford, Daniel Jatta, and Don Nitchie all like the
recording.

“Banjourneys is wonderful blend of banjo and fiddle voices drawing
from old-time and West-African traditions, with a shade of cowboy
music and the Rolling Stones too. The amazing thing is how well it
all fits together; at turns haunting, lyrical, and loads of fun,
neatly wrapped up in a Roz Chast cover.”

Tony Trischka (Mar 28, 2010)

"Chuck displays an impressive range of appropriate styles in his
'Banjourney',
from the banjo's early African origins, through its minstrel hall and
mountain hoedown heydays, right up to the present day and beyond. An
exciting and enjoyable journey indeed."

Mac Benford (Apr 27, 2010)

"Banjourneys is a great collection of music, a kind of roadmap of the
territory connecting Jola music of Senegambia to old-time music in the
US. The banjo and fiddle music is grand, but what I was really
impressed with was the Jola songs. Chuck’s vocals are good, his
akonting is strong and vibrant, and Mike Eberle’s fiddle fits
perfectly. Perhaps this is what it sounded like at the beginning when
Africans and Europeans first shared music. I highly recommend
Banjourneys"

Daniel LaemouAhuma Jatta (5.10.10)

Banjourneys Listed as one of the best recordings of the year in Banjo
Newsletter. "Florida Banjo Champion Chuck Levy's Banjourneys is a
simply-produced old time banjo and banjonting (modeled after the West
African akonting) and fiddle release. I found this CD very affecting
in its sparseness"

Don Nitchie, Banjo Newsletter 1.10

Amongst the places to purchase Banjourneys (also at itunes,amazon,
etc)

http://elderly.com/search/elderly?terms=chuck+levy&x=10&y=12

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/chucklevy

http://www.countysales.com/php-bin/ecomm4/products.php?category_id=&product_id=5974&prev_id=&next_id=

or from John Hatton at http://www.cleffd-ear.com/#

2) In November 2009, I was featured in concert at Savannah’s Ships of
the Sea Museum. The concert capped a day-long banjo and akonting
(ekonting ) construction workshop led by the Museum’s director Tony
Pizzo. Now nearly an hour of that concert can be seen along with
other videos featuring Sana Ndiaye, Greg C. Adams, Pal Sedgwick, John
Catches, Tony Pizzo, and Bob Zentz. Check http://shipsofthesea.org/video

3) I have added two new videos from the 2010 Suwannee Banjo Camp to
http://www.youtube.com/banjochuck . The first features Mac Benford
with a terrific three-finger version of the fine old Kentucky tune,
“Black Jack Grove”. Mac has perfected a seemingly simple right-handed
technique, which can be seen clearly in the video. The other video
features a duet of Adam Hurt on the 5 string-banjo joined by me on
Gold Tone 6-string banjo (a short thumb-string plus 5 long strings).
We play “Molly Put The Kettle on”. Come join us for tea!

4) I will be playing at the Florida Folk Fest on Friday, May 28, at 3
pm at the Banjoseed tent, Saturday with Fear No Weevil at 5 pm at the
Azalea Stage, and at 10:20 am on Sunday at the Seminole Camp. On
August 20th, I will be playing at the Bo Diddley Community Plaza in
Downtown Gainesville, starting at 8 pm. Plans are underway for the
next Suwannee Old-Time Music Weekend September 10-12 at the Stephen
Foster Folk Culture Center State Park in High Springs, Florida.