Rosa Lee

RobMac

Sep 24, 2008, 3:52:50 PM9/24/08
to Minstrel Banjo
Anyone have the lyrics to Rosa Lee from Briggs'? Seems a nice tune.

Rob MacKillop

trapdoor2

Sep 24, 2008, 6:06:06 PM9/24/08
to Minstrel Banjo
I dunno if these are the right lyrics for Briggs, but they are
contemporary.

===Marc

ROSA LEE.

When I lib'd in Tennessee, U li a li o la e,
I went courtin Rosa Lee, U li a li o la e,
Eyes as dark as winter night,
Lips as red as berry bright,
When first I did her wooing go,

She said, now don't be foolish Joe! U li a li o la e.
Courting down in Tennessee, U li a li o la e,
'Neath the wild Banana tree.

I said you lubly gul, dat's plain, U li a li o la e,
Breff as sweet as sugar cane, U li a li o la e,
Feet as large and comely too,
Might make a cradle of each shoe,
Rosa take me for your beau.

She said, now don't be foolish, Joe! U li a li o la e,
Courtin down in Tennessee, &c.

My story yet is to be told, U li a li o la e,
Rosa catch'd a shocking cold, U li a li o la e,
Send de doctor, fetch de nurse,
Doctor came but make her worse,
I tried to make her laugh, but no,

She said, Now don't be foolish Joe, U li a li o la e,
Courtin down in Tennessee, &c.

Dey gib her up, no power could save U, li a li o la e,
She ax me follow to her grave, U li a li o la e,
I take her hand, 'twas cold as death,
So cold I hardly draw my breff,
She saw my tears in sorrow flow,

And said: Farewell, my dearest Joe, U li a li o la e,
Rosa sleeps in Tennessee, &c.

Carl Anderton

Sep 24, 2008, 6:14:44 PM9/24/08
to Minstrel Banjo
Yeah, those are the right lyrics. My band sings this song. The
harmonies are sublime!! You'll need a rafter-reachin' tenor.
> > Rob MacKillop- Hide quoted text -

David Miller

Sep 24, 2008, 9:17:39 PM9/24/08
to Minstrel Banjo
Rob -

Is a snappy lil' tune. The only thing i found on it was the mid sound
file I put here, which I suppose isn't much like the real thing played
back when.

Dave M.

Rob MacKillop

Sep 25, 2008, 1:54:00 AM9/25/08
to Tom-B...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to everyone. The words more or less fit the score. I'll while away some time with it today. Funny to see the added 'symphony' at the end, presumably the instrumental break between verses.

Rob MacKillop