Finally upgrading to TW5, troubleshooting aliases [resolved]

springer

Dec 19, 2019, 9:10:58 AM12/19/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Dear TW community,

I'm migrating to TW5 after doing all my classroom teaching in TiddlyWiki Classic (since 2005!), with deep layers of customizations built up. Now I'm trying to recover one favorite old function at a time, while enjoying glimpses of the new fancy possibilities...

For classroom use, I avoid CamelCase (w DisableWikiLinks so as not to need to "tildify" ~MacIntyre, etc.)

My happily achieved old behavior (as seen here:  http://ethics.tiddlyspot.com/#sample ) is that all internal links simply knit themselves together, no need to double-bracket, and no need to recall difference between original tiddler titles and aliases. (Feel free to poke around at old site; I can no longer reconstruct exactly which combination of plugins is responsible for the seamless internal links; I stopped needing to tinker with it years ago!)

On TW 5, apparently I need to say goodbye to automagical linking (tears shed, trying to get over it, but please correct me if I'm wrong!).

Aliases ought to work though, right? No luck so far (and upgraded file has hundreds of tiddlers with alias field defined)... I just looked at Stephan Hradek's TW5 Magick after seeing a discussion here, but don't get how to port his solution to my site, or how it can work site-wide if it's not a plugin...

See here for how links at my new TW5 are failing for the aliases of glossary terms (tried with and without putting double-brackets in alias field):  http://ethicsatwes.tiddlyspot.com/#definition

I suspect I'm missing something simple. Please be patient with me, as my mind is still very much stuck in my old ecosystem of TW Classic... Thanks for any help you can offer!

Mark S.

Dec 19, 2019, 9:59:29 AM12/19/19
to TiddlyWiki
You might check out Pmario's uni-link:

https://wikilabs.github.io/editions/uni-link/

It has multiple options for using aliases.

A good resource in general for all things TW5 is the tiddly toolmap:

https://dynalist.io/d/zUP-nIWu2FFoXH-oM7L7d9DM

HTH

springer

Dec 19, 2019, 10:14:34 AM12/19/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hooray, uni-link is indeed the right kind of thing!

But gosh... With hundreds of tiddlers coming over from TW Classic, each with a field called alias ...
Is there a way to get that FIELDNAME batch-converted on my existing tiddlers, so that it's now called aliases ?

Minor additional follow-up: I notice that even once these aliases work, they still render in italics. Would love to have alias links look the same as other links (not distracting me with a worry that the link is missing, and not distracting students who wonder why the word is italicized).

-Springer

Mohammad

Dec 19, 2019, 11:29:11 AM12/19/19
to TiddlyWiki
Springer,
for batch operation you may have a look at
https://kookma.github.io/TW-Commander/

It is kind of Swiss knife for tiddler operation!

before start using it!
OF COURSE: make a backup before any test!

--Mohammad

springer

Dec 19, 2019, 11:31:14 AM12/19/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Update: uni-link somehow stopped working for me... could troubleshoot later, but...

I switched to Matt's Aliases, which *does* seamlessly hide all alias-related stuff from view mode, so in that respect I prefer it (tho' I can see why the "Note: this tiddler has aliases..." aspect of uni-link would be ideal for a solo-use TW project).

Off to wrap my head around the TW-Commander approach to moving all 'alias' field contents to 'aliases' field...

springer

Mohammad

Dec 19, 2019, 11:50:58 AM12/19/19
to TiddlyWiki
Springer,
 I noticed you want to change the field name itself NOT the field value.
 So just do as below
  • create a new tiddler like "change my alias"
  • in the text body copy and paste the below code
<$button> Change alias to aliases
<$list filter="[all[tiddlers]has[alias]]">
<$action-setfield aliases={{!!alias}}/>
<$action-deletefield alias/>
</$list>
</$button>
  • save and click the button
  • Always make a backup and work on the trial wiki!
How it works
  • find all tiddlers has a filed called alias
  • copy the content of alias field to a new field aliases
  • delete the old field alias
--Mohammad

springer

Dec 19, 2019, 12:47:56 PM12/19/19
to TiddlyWiki
Mohammad, thank you!

Your generosity in supplying this button code has saved me so much time!

Mohammad

Dec 22, 2019, 2:49:54 AM12/22/19
to TiddlyWiki