TW5: Is there a way to count how many times a tiddler has been read?

Chuck R.

Dec 28, 2019, 7:23:07 AM12/28/19
to TiddlyWiki
My setup: TW5.1.19 on Tiddlyspot.com

I am curious if there is a way to count the number of times a person opens or reads a tiddler online. I'm wondering which tiddlers in a given file would be more popular, like if we could see a list of the 10 most read tiddlers.

If I made an short url on tiny.cc it would only count the accesses, through https://tiny.cc, to that one tiddler, but to track "hits" to all tiddlers would require many short url links on tiny.cc. So this isn't a great option. This option works but requires a lot more manual work.

Any ideas how one would do this?

Chuck R.

Dec 28, 2019, 7:23:54 AM12/28/19
to TiddlyWiki
Another option would be to exclude a given IP address (mine) that I would give in an exclusion list. That is, don't count hits from this list of IPs.

Ste Wilson

Dec 28, 2019, 7:36:31 AM12/28/19
to TiddlyWiki
There was an update to the Google analyitics plug in that allowed tracking of tiddlers which was going to merged into the core but not sure it ever happened. The version i was using broke with one of the recent updates.
http://sycom.github.io/TiddlyWiki-Plugins/#Google%20analytics%20reloaded

Ste

Ste Wilson

Dec 28, 2019, 7:44:05 AM12/28/19
to TiddlyWiki
The red scene of embarresment reads:

Syntax error in boot module $:/core/macros/i18n: Invalid or unexpected token
SyntaxError: Invalid or unexpected token
at eval (<anonymous>)
at Object.$tw.utils.evalGlobal (http://stephenteacher.tiddlyspot.com/:33006:22)
at Object.$tw.modules.execute (http://stephenteacher.tiddlyspot.com/:33295:15)
at http://stephenteacher.tiddlyspot.com/:33335:30
at Object.$tw.utils.each (http://stephenteacher.tiddlyspot.com/:32636:12)
at Object.$tw.modules.forEachModuleOfType (http://stephenteacher.tiddlyspot.com/:33334:12)
at Object.$tw.modules.getModulesByTypeAsHashmap (http://stephenteacher.tiddlyspot.com/:33345:14)
at Object.exports.startup ($:/core/modules/startup/load-modules.js:33:27)
at Object.$tw.boot.executeNextStartupTask (http://stephenteacher.tiddlyspot.com/:34851:10)
at Object.$tw.boot.startup (http://stephenteacher.tiddlyspot.com/:34808:11)

Chuck R.

Dec 28, 2019, 8:26:49 AM12/28/19
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks Ste, I've used Google Analytics before. But Google Analytics is infamous for counting robot spiders searching your site, because they load your page to index it, and thus the results are not useful. In order to not count these robots, the individual user has to identify and manually block counting of every robot IP address. This doesn't seem to be a problem with tiny.cc counters.