Reboot of Subsume plugin

David Gifford

Aug 17, 2021, 11:41:09 AM8/17/21
to TiddlyWiki

Hi everyone

I have rebooted the Subsume plugin rather than updating it. (https://giffmex.org/gifts/subsume.html)

The good news is that it now includes a way to have a subsume with an edit button. I like this way better than the regular subsumes with links.

The bad news is that the integration with the relink plugin was causing me problems, making the installation process more convoluted, and potentially causing problems for users for the future. So I removed the relink-related tiddlers, and also made integration with the edit-comptext plugin an optional feature, with new instructions.

This is the best I can do with this. My apologies for any inconveniences to anyone who uses Subsume and likes the the relink feature. And my thanks to flibbles for catching part of the problem, after which I found other complications as well.

Blessings, Dave

Flibbles

Sep 2, 2021, 11:43:27 PM9/2/21
to TiddlyWiki
Hey David Gifford,

Flibbles again. Just wondering if there was some problem with Relink that was preventing the integration. Unless Relink is causing some sort of glitch, I would have thought integrating our two plugins would have been easy peasy using the whitelist method. What was going wrong?

-Flibbles

David Gifford

Sep 3, 2021, 8:42:59 AM9/3/21
to TiddlyWiki

Hi Flibbles,

It had to do with how complicated the documentation of installing things was after you mentioned the line to insert at the top of my macro. My plugin had the config tiddler, and everything (Subsume plugin, Relink plugin, config tiddler, text.vmdetc tiddler had to be done in a particular order, or else the tiddlers were showing as titles, no text, and no way to open to edit. And my plugin site, would it complicate things even further if I have Relink installed already?  I decided to make it simpler and leave Relink out. I use Relink fine with Subsume with no problem, but
don't want the hassle of supporting a bunch of people who install it wrongly and I have to go in and help them. My goal is to be in the TiddlyWiki world less and less, and in my research more and more. But when I come up with a solution, I want to share it with others. That's why I ask others to adopt my projects, which everyone studiously ignores.

Flibbles

Sep 3, 2021, 10:20:55 AM9/3/21
to TiddlyWiki
Huh. Don't know what could have been causing that problem. I've looked through your plugin and there's nothing that should be causing the problem you're describing.

I do agree that your plugin should not ship with Relink, but I figured you would keep the configuration file included with your project. If you have the tiddler...

$:/config/flibbles/relink/macros/subsume/tid

included, with the text content of "title", then you don't have to do anything else. And (in theory) anyone can install your plugin and/or Relink in any order they choose. It's up to them, and your plugin would work fine without it. I'd push this change to show you what I mean, but I can't find any sort of git repository.

Basically, the files listed under your plugin's contents would be:

    $:/plugins/giffmex/subsume/editortoolbarbutton/subsume
    $:/plugins/giffmex/subsume/editortoolbarbutton/subsume-edit
    $:/plugins/giffmex/subsume/images/subsume
    $:/plugins/giffmex/subsume/images/subsume-edit
    $:/plugins/giffmex/subsume/macro/
    $:/plugins/giffmex/subsume/macro/subsume-edit
    $:/plugins/giffmex/subsume/readme
    $:/plugins/giffmex/subsume/stylesheet
    $:/config/flibbles/relink/macros/subsume/tid

Which looks a little weird, but is entirely legal, and how a lot of cross-plugin integration is done. That config file is the only interaction you'd have with Relink. It does nothing if Relink isn't around, but if they ever get around to installing relink, then it will automatically come to life and integrate with the relinking whitelist. (If it doesn't, that's my problem.)

Flibbles

Sep 3, 2021, 10:26:06 AM9/3/21
to TiddlyWiki

Well, I guess you'd really want:

    $:/plugins/giffmex/subsume/editortoolbarbutton/subsume
    $:/plugins/giffmex/subsume/editortoolbarbutton/subsume-edit
    $:/plugins/giffmex/subsume/images/subsume
    $:/plugins/giffmex/subsume/images/subsume-edit
    $:/plugins/giffmex/subsume/macro/
    $:/plugins/giffmex/subsume/macro/subsume-edit
    $:/plugins/giffmex/subsume/readme
    $:/plugins/giffmex/subsume/stylesheet
    $:/config/flibbles/relink/macros/subsume/tid
    $:/config/flibbles/relink/macros/subsume-edit/tid

...since you've got those two macros. Both would have the text content of "title".

David Gifford

Sep 3, 2021, 11:06:40 AM9/3/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Flibbles,

I don't think the problem was the config file, but the first line you had me insert in my macros, so that they would be recognized by Relink and then relinked. Those need to ship with my plugin. But the user may or may not have the Relink plugin and may or may not have tweaked the Editor type text/vnd.tiddlywiki when installing my plugin. Not all of the scenarios run smoothly, and I don't recall the details. So it is hard to figure out how to write the instructions to take into account all the possible scenarios. Hope that helps.

strikke...@gmail.com

Sep 3, 2021, 11:29:52 AM9/3/21
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Dave,
It is totally understandable. After all the mixes and matches with your beloved stroll - you have the experience. I must admit that I kept using the first version of subsume, due to wanting to use relink - more than the subsume-edit. I prefer using the link and drag to your col2edit in the sidebar ;-)
Don't let this stop you from sharing your goodies with us. I use and love a lot of your products - Thanks you!

@Flibbles
Thanks for all the help you offer. Now we can as users add those config tids ourselves and see how it goes.

Birthe

strikke...@gmail.com

Sep 3, 2021, 12:12:37 PM9/3/21
to TiddlyWiki
I did a test upgrading my TW to the last version of subsume plugin and added Flibbles config tids. No changes to your macros. It seems to work.

Ad the line to the macros as you did in the former version of subsume - and it does not work. Could that be what caused the confusion?

Flibbles

Sep 3, 2021, 12:57:31 PM9/3/21
to TiddlyWiki
Yes, this is the confusion.

You must not use the "\relink" pragma in your plugin, because it requires Relink to be installed in order to parse. If you use config tiddlers instead (e.g. tiddlers named "$:/config/flibbles/relink/macros/subsume/tid" with text "title"), then integration is seamless. Your plugin just has to ship with those config tiddlers, (which amount to about a 100 byte overhead). If subsume ships with them, then they're ignored if Relink isn't there, and they activate if relink is. The users never have to manually add the subsume macro to the Relink whitelist. It'll be there with its own neat little category.

Flibbles

Sep 3, 2021, 1:08:01 PM9/3/21
to TiddlyWiki
"I don't think the problem was the config file, but the first line you had me insert in my macros, so that they would be recognized by Relink and then relinked. "

Just so we're clear, I never told you to put those "\relink" lines in. I told you to take them out. :)

David Gifford

Sep 3, 2021, 1:09:32 PM9/3/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Ah, yes, now I remember. Sorry for the confusion!