Graphic representation of data

Magnus

Jan 4, 2020, 4:53:04 PM1/4/20
to TiddlyWiki

Would it be possible in TW, maybe through css & html, to create something resembling https://www.nationalnyckeln.se/images/uploaded/orienteringssystemet-large.jpg? This image is from the Swedish national project "NationalNyckeln" and represent all plant, fungi and animal family currency known to reside in Sweden. I would likt to create something similar for my orchid TW. It must not be auto magical updated, I'm happy to hard code but I have no idea how to begin.

Mat

Jan 4, 2020, 5:21:03 PM1/4/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hej Magnus - jag är både svensk och naturvetare :-)

Sure, you can do that but it'd be good to know what you mean with "something resembling". For example, the circular aspects immediately strike me as iffy (doing it with CSS), but that particular aspect should not be necessary if you just want to convey the information which really is just a simple tree structure.

I made http://graphs.tiddlyspot.com/ a few years back. It is frankly ready for a remake by this time (TW natively has math now). I also made http://listtree.tiddlyspot.com/ and a few other simpler things to directly convert bullet-lists into various structures.

<:-)

Magnus

Jan 4, 2020, 5:51:58 PM1/4/20
to TiddlyWiki
Också naturvetare, pluggade till grön biolog :)

I have tried tree views but the problem is there are like 800 genus which makes it a very long list and a lot of scrolling. I would like some kind of fancy "first-page-representation" showing of the complexity and volume of the orchid family

Mat

Jan 4, 2020, 6:07:46 PM1/4/20
to TiddlyWiki
 fancy "first-page-representation" showing of the complexity and volume of the orchid family

What happens when the device has a small screen? I suspect that the "circle" image would be useless on a phone (or?). Or maybe one should not be able to click anything in it? I note that the "circle" doesn't really show the names but only representative numbers. What representations other than a circle do you envision? Perhaps not everything has to be visible at once? Information can of course be presented in a zillion ways so it is probably best if you give some examples of what you have in mind or some more specific demands.

<:-)

PMario

Jan 4, 2020, 9:31:52 PM1/4/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Magnus,

There is the D3 graphics library, which can do similar things. eg:

If you search the group, there have been some experiments with the d3 lib, but not your usecase.

just some thoughts.

-m

Magnus

Jan 5, 2020, 1:59:41 PM1/5/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hmm, yes, haven't given mobile much thought. Maybe hide it altogether when on small screen? I have tried tree-view but it gets very long, mobile would be even worse. I did try a sort of huge excelish-table-like-something where every genus got one of five size-class depending on number of species, a different size square for every class, one square for every genus, very much manual work and it got huge, I think ended up around 5meg (+TW) for only that one thing

Magnus

Jan 5, 2020, 2:00:11 PM1/5/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks, I'll check it out :)