"Loud Tones?" on Discourse discussion: talk.tiddlywiki.org

TW Tones

Sep 17, 2021, 9:12:42 PM9/17/21
to TiddlyWiki
Folks,

As you may know I am a regular contributor to the community. I just want to let you know although I will always support the use of Google Groups, I am now only an occasional visitor here. Without entering into the detailed evaluations and comparisons these are my reasons why;
  • Discourse fixed a number of problems introduced to Google Groups of late eg code highlighting.
  • Discourse has all the standard features of most of the advance community tools.
  • It can almost resemble a chat if more than one person is on line.
  • I do not use any email features only online.
  • Its easier to keep track of what I have done or when others post and reply
  • Its nice to use emoticon reactions rather than a whole (email) reply to indicate support, or thank someone.
  • I can deal with a larger volume of activity in the same time
  • Private messaging without using email is possible (off line discussions)
  • I can support new users to Discourse, as I certainly want us to move, so of course I support it.
  • Given the way users have being treated by google eg; destroyed mobile view I no longer trust Google Groups in the long term.
There are too many features to name here that I appreciate in Discourse, but most are reusable skills, because they are available in many other community solutions, but not in Google Groups, which after all is a glorified mail list.

I did not choose Discourse, but because it has gained some momentum and is more than adequate if not very good "I just want to leave". I tried to encourage a move many times, but most communities are like herding cats, but now in the case of Discourse its more like "herding sheep" and a pile of us sheeple, have just run across the road and discovered than side is much greener :)

I understand there are community members who feel one or more of the following;
  • finding the transition difficult,
  • need solutions to help on the new platform
  • are not familiar with these sophisticated solutions
  • don't like changing something that works for them.
I urge you to come over and connect with me @TW_Tones I will do all I can to help you learn how to use discourse and transition (others will help as well).

Tones

TW Tones

Sep 17, 2021, 9:16:20 PM9/17/21
to TiddlyWiki
Oh,  and you can edit to correct your post :)

I have just run across the road and discovered that side is much greener :)

Charlie Veniot

Sep 18, 2021, 1:58:22 AM9/18/21
to TiddlyWiki
It would be good for the discourse forum to indicate that moderators can also edit members' posts to benefit the community.

That should be mentioned prominently in terms of use or something.

That aside, I wish you and other members all the best over in the discourse forum.  You've put together a nice list of benefits, so totally makes sense why members have flocked over to that forum.

Me, I'll pop in once in a blue moon, but I will  stay over here in the GG forum because this one is much more accommodating re cognitive disability challenges.

TW Tones

Sep 18, 2021, 3:34:27 AM9/18/21
to TiddlyWiki
Charlie,

I understand your concerns and will argue for GG continuing, visit occasionally and hopefully one day we will find ways to make Discourse more acceptable for you. Of course no final decision has being made yet. This is my personal position.

Tones

CJ Veniot

Sep 18, 2021, 10:24:16 AM9/18/21
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
GG has actually become better for me because of the very much reduced activity.

So when I have something I think worth contributing, I can contribute via the GG forum without the challenges of
  • coping with the distracting bells and whistles of discourse
  • the overall design of the discourse site, which I think is best for what the great majority wants, but is brutal to me trying to process information
  • too many discussions, too many discussion forks within discussions, too many people, too many moving pieces
    • these have me trying to process every detail of every little thing all at once, so this brain is all over the place like a little kid in a toy or candy store for the first time
And when I'm looking for a little something interesting to immerse myself in, I can make a short and sweet visit to Discourse, find something I can tackle, tackle it, and then get out of there right pronto when done.

Silly, I think, to try and setup Discourse to provide a cognitive wheel chair ramp.  GG is my cognitive wheel chair ramp via the integration between the GG and Discourse forums.

In that sense, Discourse is wonderful to me.  It allows me to participate in a way that accommodates my needs perfectly (via the non-overstimulating back door that is GG).

Very cool.