Code Mirror shuts down after I import a .tid file

Linda Moss

Sep 30, 2019, 11:11:31 AM9/30/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

I'm trying to access my tiddlywiki from a new computer (off the harddrive, in the dropbox folder), and vim keybindings no longer work :(. I'm not sure if the rest of CodeMirror is working, since the vim bindings are what I primarily notice.

It's the exact same HTML file, so it's the same combination of plugins/versisons. I tried re-setting the keymap, disabling and renabling the plungins, then uninstaling and reinstaling the code-mirror plugins (and re-setting the keymap), but to no avail. (tiddlywiki 5.1.19, and since I reinstalled the codemirror plugins, those would be the latest version)

Thinking it might be a problem with Firefox, I checked in Chromium, and had the same problem.

The only thing that's different is that the new computer is linux-mint/i3wm while the old one was lubuntu/i3wm, and I'm not sure the versions of Firefox and Chromium were exactly the same (though in both cases they should be relatively up-to-date).

Google has been unable to find anyone else experiencing the same problem, so I suspect there's something funky going on at my end. Is there any browser or other setting that could be causing this problem? I'm at a loss as to what to try next.

(Note: I might not be able to get back here to respond until late afternoon/early evening.)

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks!

Linda Moss

Sep 30, 2019, 4:23:52 PM9/30/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Ok, weird. I downloaded a fresh copy from before I tried to fix things, and that copy works. Still can't figure out why the newer copy doesn't (since it seems to be set up properly), but I'm not going to bang my head against it any more. I'll just copy the newer entries to the older tiddywiki.

And as usual, the "click to mark as solved" button shows up for me in other people's threads, but never in my own. No idea why I can mark other people's issues resolved, but not my own.

tony

Sep 30, 2019, 4:29:21 PM9/30/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi

Maybe try upgrading to the latest tiddlywiki version?

I have 5.1.20 (latest is .21) but it's working under Firefox 69.0.1 and Chrome 77.0.3865.90 in a Windows 10 box

Maybe different under Linux

In the old days, I'd have to update the CodeMirror and vim plugins but now it does it automatically and retains keymap

Best,
tony

Linda Moss

Sep 30, 2019, 9:26:03 PM9/30/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Ok, this is weird. It broke again, but this time I know what broke it.

  • It's the entire CodeMirror plugin that is breaking, not just the vim key-bindings.
  • It breaks when I import a .tid file.
  • Copying one of those importated tiddlers to an unbroken tiddly wiki causes its CodeMirror to shut down, as well.
  • Deleting akk the imported tiddlers causes CodeMirror (including the keybindings) to start working again
The .tid files are hand-made, with a title, tags, and largish body.

As a work-around, I'm going to copy and paste the bodies of the .tid files into tiddlers made within the wiki, rather than trying to import them.

Tony -- I will take your advice and see if the problem persists in the latest version :). If so, I'll try to gather more info and file a bug report.

Thanks all :)

~~Linda

EDIT: Updated title and tags to reflect actual problem :)