Looking for a debug how-to/tutorial

Petruschka

Apr 25, 2020, 12:05:42 PM4/25/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hello,

does anyone may know where I can find a tutorial or a how-to to debug TW?

On and off for over 12 years, I always break it (by trying another great idea of the TW universe) in a way no backups will handle the situation. Often it was a hidden or rare used function (plugins function e.g. right know) which broke and made it unusable for me. So I would like to learn help myself.

Any hints? Thanks in advance for anything.

PS Right know I discovered I can't go back from my plugin menu (with 0 searchable plugins) and I have to reload the wiki to use it again.

Mat

Apr 25, 2020, 12:19:18 PM4/25/20
to TiddlyWiki
It depends on what kind of bugs you've introduced but the "UI way" would be to go to Ctrlpanel > Basics > Info and look at very bottom there to investigate which shadow tiddlers have been overwritten, i.e click the little magnifying glass.

Then you can delete one of those tiddlers at a time, and save+reload, to see if it helped. What happens when you delete a manipulated shadow tiddler is that it resets it to the original.

Before everything, you should of course update the wiki to latest version.

You mention backups so I assume this is already taken care of, which would be the very first step.

If your bugs are of a more serious kind where you e.g have manipulated the file content via an external editor then I'm not sure what to do.

<:-)

Petruschka

Apr 25, 2020, 6:18:46 PM4/25/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hello Mat,

On Saturday, April 25, 2020 at 6:19:18 PM UTC+2, Mat wrote:
It depends on what kind of bugs you've introduced but the "UI way" would be to go to Ctrlpanel > Basics > Info and look at very bottom there to investigate which shadow tiddlers have been overwritten, i.e click the little magnifying glass.

Then you can delete one of those tiddlers at a time, and save+reload, to see if it helped. What happens when you delete a manipulated shadow tiddler is that it resets it to the original.

 I will try what you proposed. Thank you.

Before everything, you should of course update the wiki to latest version.

You mention backups so I assume this is already taken care of, which would be the very first step.

If your bugs are of a more serious kind where you e.g have manipulated the file content via an external editor then I'm not sure what to do.

<:-)

Already done, 5.1.22 - no external editing involved - only importing tiddlers and plugins. :)