Getting to know regular expressions

Charlie Veniot

Oct 19, 2021, 12:30:37 PMOct 19
to TiddlyWiki
G'day all,

I've recently taken an interest in the study of regular expressions.

Tentatively, I'd like to do a series of short videos about regular expressions as my learning progresses.

In the meantime, I've created the attached (three-tiddler-set) which includes a Regular Expression Tester.  Something I'll be using in my "show'n tell" videos which you may find useful now:
  • just as sample code to study
  • for your own playing with regular expressions
I'll be doing my own studying, and basing my videos on what I learn, from GNU Grep Chapter 3 Regular Expressions

Cheers !
RegularExpressionTester.json

PMario

Oct 19, 2021, 3:52:07 PMOct 19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi,
That's the source where I do get my info about regular expressions for javascript: https://www.regular-expressions.info/javascript.html
-mario

Charlie Veniot

Oct 19, 2021, 4:07:29 PMOct 19
to TiddlyWiki
Rats.  I forgot to mention: I'll be studying the regular expression stuff from grep that is common with javascript.

(I want to learn common grep/javascript stuff first because it is useful for both things I'm doing with the GNU nano text editor and applying in TiddlyWiki.)

At some point, I'll get into the javascript-specific regular expression stuff.

Álvaro

Oct 21, 2021, 8:48:34 AMOct 21
to TiddlyWiki
Hi,
There is a wiki for regexp in TW

Charlie Veniot

Oct 21, 2021, 9:05:12 AMOct 21
to TiddlyWiki
And it is a wonderously fantastic resource.

Just too overwhelming when I want to just focus on and learn the individual pieces, in isolation, of regular expressions.

Once I've got a good feel for everything regular expressions, then I'll be interested in combinations of the pieces to do things with a substantial amount of text.

Then, I'll be interested in the combinations of the pieces to get certain results in TiddlyWiki.

Yeah, my learning process can't have everything and the kitchen sink thrown in all at once.