Newbie to Tiddlywiki - need some help with understanding CSS please

Bandit 58164

Apr 21, 2020, 5:26:03 AM4/21/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Everyone

This is a fabulous group and I have been reading many of the comments about the different topics (most completely over my head I'm afraid) and I wondered if there was a place someone could signpost me which has tutorials or guides on setting up tiddlywiki forms, CSS and using tiddlywiki as a place to store client notes.

I want a simple template that I can open each time and fill in fields - cannot find any help on how to do this.  And of course I want to color code - I have figured out how to use the CSS class and ID in TW but apart from that all my knowledge is HTML and I have even resorted to using an HTML table and using CSS in a style header in a tiddler to format it.

There must be a simpler way but using the @@ etc is soooo confusing for a newbie.

Can someone help please?

Thanks

Phil

A Gloom

Apr 21, 2020, 8:01:28 AM4/21/20
to TiddlyWiki
Phil

This concerns the CSS portion of your question

I want a simple template that I can open each time and fill in fields - cannot find any help on how to do this.  And of course I want to color code - I have figured out how to use the CSS class and ID in TW but apart from that all my knowledge is HTML and I have even resorted to using an HTML table and using CSS in a style header in a tiddler to format it.

using html tables is usually better than using the Wikitext table syntax for complex/custom tables.  Wikitext tables have some limitations concerning styling, see: https://groups.google.com/d/topic/tiddlywiki/6XSqLdhH1dQ/discussion.

There must be a simpler way but using the @@ etc is soooo confusing for a newbie.

You're familiar with html/css-- good.  Look at the @@ as a span -- @@,red "example text"@@ like <span class="red">"example text"</span>

This guide on markup shows with examples the @@ syntax: http://tobibeer.github.io/tb5/#Markup

Someone made an excellent guide on TW's internal styling-- hopefully they'll speak up with I hunt for its link.

TonyM

Apr 21, 2020, 8:14:05 AM4/21/20
to TiddlyWiki
Phil

Have you tried editing a tiddler and creating fields at the bottom. This is a quick way to do what you want out of the box.

I can then show you how to make the field viewable and we can give you more support to build whatever you want

Regards
Tony

Mat

Apr 21, 2020, 8:24:43 AM4/21/20
to TiddlyWiki
Welcome Bandit! :-)
Particularly when new people have something in mind and ask for help, it is useful the more you can illustrate it. Could you show an example of how you want a form to look?

Regarding @@ , as A Gloom points out it is equivalent to <span>. But, if you prefer, then just use <span> instead. The idea with wikitext is to simplify the underlying html commands.

<:-)

Philip Bracey

Apr 21, 2020, 4:54:44 PM4/21/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi there - thanks for the idea with this - I have looked at creating fields but I just get lost - if you ask me to create a web page using html and css then I am away - but tiddlywiki is not the same and I just have no idea how to approach this - data entry fields would be fantastic - once I know how I am sure I will fly with this

Can you help?

Thanks

Phil

springer

Apr 22, 2020, 7:27:16 PM4/22/20
to TiddlyWiki
Phil,

I use data entry fields, together with templates, to achieve certain kinds of styled results (and many other functions).

If you look at my old site: http://ethicsatwes.tiddlyspot.com/ you'll see a drop-down menu at right with "set up microessay" [See image below...]

Try using that function. What you'll see is a new tiddler based on a template. Once you modify the fields at the bottom, and confirm edits to the tiddler (don't worry, you can't actually overwrite anything on my site) -- you'll end up with a tiddler that's like a form with those values filled in.

Fields can be used for so many purposes! Give us some details of what you want to achieve, and folks here can surely point you in a good direction...

-Springer

Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 7.24.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 7.24.31 PM.png