Recent tab sorting wrong, burying some recent tiddlers, major glitch!

springer

May 22, 2020, 8:19:36 PM5/22/20
to TiddlyWiki
Dear all,

One of my tiddlyspot wikis has developed a bizarrely mis-ordered "Recents" tab.

At first, I thought the wiki save process was actually "dropping" tiddlers, since they dropped out of view on the Recents tab.

But then I found today that those tiddlers were somehow tucked way down beneath all of the stock tiddlers. I am finding May 2020 tiddlers sorting as if they're prior to 2014 (tiny screenshot attached below).

There's gotta be an explanation, but surely such a basic thing should not be breakable, right?

Perhaps this is specific to tiddlyspot or to some plugin interference, but how do we begin to find out?

-Springer

timeline_sorted_wrong.jpg

Birthe C

May 22, 2020, 8:58:05 PM5/22/20
to TiddlyWiki
On your screenshot the only tiddler I can see having 2014 date....is Typed Block in WIkitext...date 20th January 2014.
Did you drag and drop it?
The sort order though...have you changed it? Can you remember anything you did around the time the problem started?

Birthe

Birthe C

May 22, 2020, 9:04:51 PM5/22/20
to TiddlyWiki
Tiddlyspot does not change anything. Think about it, we would all have complained long time ago and constantly if something like that happened.

Perhaps this is specific to tiddlyspot or to some plugin interference, but how do we begin to find out

Birthe

Mark S.

May 22, 2020, 9:27:31 PM5/22/20
to TiddlyWiki
Since it's on tiddlyspot, it can't be too private. Can you share the address? That would be better than playing 20 questions ;-)

springer

May 22, 2020, 11:18:12 PM5/22/20
to TiddlyWiki
Here's a permalink for the oddly behaving Recent tab:

You'll need to unencrypt with password munuyg

(I don't mind TW troubleshooters taking a look now, but then I'll change the password soon. It's hardly "top secret," but it's got enough info (including about people other than myself) that it shouldn't be completely open to getting web-crawled.)

Birthe: My screenshot focuses on documenting the "faultline" in case someone might recognize it as a known issue. The large subset above is properly sorting in descending date order (as is the smaller subset below).

-Springer

Mark S.

May 22, 2020, 11:45:33 PM5/22/20
to TiddlyWiki
When I look at it, it shows me only back to 2019 October. As far as I can tell, everything is sorting normally.

What browser and operating system are you using?

If you look at it with a different browser than you usually use, does it look ok?

I've seen phenomenon sometimes where information gets "stuck" in the browser. Usually refreshing the page fixes this.

Good luck!

springer

May 22, 2020, 11:51:00 PM5/22/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mark, aha!

Although the timeline sort problem happens in Chrome at work AND at home, it's not happening in Safari. So you're onto something... and yet it's not as simple as a glitch that disappears with a simple refresh. I'm off to explore more about when this problem does and doesn't happen...

-Springer

springer

May 23, 2020, 12:09:35 AM5/23/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mark and all, OK: It's just Chrome.

But on multiple computers. And even quitting and relaunching Chrome does not make the weird sort issue resolve. (I'll try other kinds of cleaning out the browser tomorrow.)

To describe the problem better: below today's modifications, I get a huge time-gap jumping back to Sept 2019 (exactly the point at which the Recent tab in well-behaved instantiations stops bothering to show more -- probably not a coincidence), then a continuous run of many stock tiddlers from 2019 back to 2014, then the "faultline" jumping forward to show  yesterday's tidders and various earlier 2020 ones (including some very recent 5.1.22 stock tiddlers) at bottom.

I wish I understood either how to replicate the problem (in a wiki that I don't need to be actively developing) or at least how to eliminate it so that I can continue working in Chrome.

Will save the challenge for another day.

Birthe C

May 23, 2020, 4:39:28 AM5/23/20
to TiddlyWiki
Springer,

I tried your link in Firefox, did not see the problem, but then I opened it i chromium and saw the sorting problem, just as you described it.
Just so you know it is not only in your browser.

Birthe

Saq Imtiaz

May 23, 2020, 4:53:08 AM5/23/20
to TiddlyWiki
The tiddler "Using TiddlyWiki on Node.js" has a corrupted modified field. Try editing and re-saving it.

Mat

May 23, 2020, 5:10:11 AM5/23/20
to TiddlyWiki
It is definitely a bug! You find it also on https://tiddlywiki.com/ (not prerelease)

Recent tab
search (using ctrl-f i.e browser tool) for e.g the tiddler ExternalImages - this is the last title for 2014. After it comes 2020 again.

<:-)

Mat

May 23, 2020, 5:16:34 AM5/23/20
to TiddlyWiki
To clarify: I can't find it in prerelease because the "Recent" tab doesn't stretch that far. I'm not saying the bug isn't there.

<:-)

Mat

May 23, 2020, 5:27:30 AM5/23/20
to TiddlyWiki

Saq Imtiaz

May 23, 2020, 5:35:56 AM5/23/20
to TiddlyWiki
Corrupted data rather than a bug.

The real question is how the  "Using TiddlyWiki on Node.js"  tiddler got corrupted.

Mat

May 23, 2020, 5:53:00 AM5/23/20
to TiddlyWiki
Ah, you're right. Removing that tiddler also corrects the timeline. Highlight a brittleness in the timeline macro tho. I'm closing my issue because I don't know how to best describe the problem.Thanks Saq.

<:-)

springer

May 23, 2020, 12:20:14 PM5/23/20
to TiddlyWiki
Great to wake up and find that the problem was tracked down. Thanks, gang!

Meanwhile, I wonder about any Chrome-using newbies who might have downloaded the same empty.html (with the corrupt "Using ... node.js" tiddler) and become simply discouraged that some of their work seemed to disappear into the void.

(At least twice I tried a restore from tiddlyspot backup while I was trying to find recent tiddlers I had a vague memory of having created... In my case, my first assumption is usually that because of work and home computers I must have left a tab open, failed to reload, and mistakenly allowed new edits to override work from the other location.)

In all my years of working with TW, I have managed to screw up my own UI by tinkering above my competence, and have also come across problems introduced by plugins, but have never before had something fail for a reason that wasn't, in some sense, traceable to my own missteps.

Isn't it fascinating that the timeline macro, faced with a corrupt tiddler, would show a corrupted sort-order in Chrome, but not in other browsers?

-Springer

springer

May 23, 2020, 12:35:10 PM5/23/20
to TiddlyWiki
To clarify: the glitch would *not* affect folks who followed directions ;) and downloaded "empty.html" -- but only those who started with hitting save to download from tiddlywiki.html (including the corrupt "Using ... node.js" tiddler), which is apparently how I started the file hosted at this tiddlyspot site.

Mark S.

May 23, 2020, 12:39:24 PM5/23/20
to TiddlyWiki
My chrome on Linux is about 4 major versions behind (v 80). It doesn't show the problem.

I'm guessing that Chrome made a change to their sort code.

I don't understand how a single corrupt tiddler would change the entire sort order.

Since TiddlyDesktop shares code with Chrome (I think), the question is whether the latest TD shows the problem (haven't installed the latest yet).

Birthe C

May 23, 2020, 12:51:11 PM5/23/20
to TiddlyWiki
Mark S,

There must be more to it. In Firefox looking a my Tiddlywiki, tab recent show me tiddlers from 2020 and 2019. I am sure I have several years old tiddlers in that old upgraded tiddlywiki.

Birthe

Mark S.

May 23, 2020, 1:20:33 PM5/23/20
to TiddlyWiki

No, that's normal. There's a hundred tiddler limit built in. That's a hundred event days, so the actual number of tiddlers comes out a little bit more than 100. So that puts back in 2019.

Mark S.

May 23, 2020, 1:47:54 PM5/23/20
to TiddlyWiki
Ok. Tested. This problem shows up in TD 0.0.14 but not in TD 0.0.13. Presumably something changed in the chromium core.