Sometimes you just want to suppress your links

S. S.

Feb 16, 2019, 6:33:52 AM2/16/19
to TiddlyWiki

I hope I am not making mistakes in the below preamble & explanation. I will still I post it as it could be useful to know, and hopefully someone more knowledgeable can correct my interpretation.

There are times when you transclude a field, and you do not want the Rendered text (since Transclusion Wikifies the text) to create a link.
This may be because the field contains CamelCase, or it actually contiains a [[Wiki Link]] etc. but you want to display/use just the text: Wiki Link

There is an interesting straightforward way to achieve this.

<$set name="tv-wikilinks" value="no">
{{Title!!field}}
</$set>

I like this solution. I believe it simply creates html similar to:

Here is the documentation tiddler for the: tv-wikilinks variable

Cheers

TonyM

Feb 16, 2019, 6:51:36 AM2/16/19
to TiddlyWiki
S S,

That is a great solution! I suspected something similar was possible but I am not well versed in the variables like tv-wikilinks

This needs to be documented.

It would be nice to extend this further to stop other wikitext being "processed". I would like to display the raw content of other tiddlers as one example.

Regards
Tony

Jeremy Ruston

Feb 16, 2019, 11:42:49 AM2/16/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tony

This needs to be documented.

It is documented, but I don't think the docs make the connection with this use case.

It would be nice to extend this further to stop other wikitext being "processed". I would like to display the raw content of other tiddlers as one example.

You should be able to use the <$text> or <$view> widgets to do that.

Best wishes

Jeremy

Regards
Tony

On Saturday, 16 February 2019 22:33:52 UTC+11, S. S. wrote:

I hope I am not making mistakes in the below preamble & explanation. I will still I post it as it could be useful to know, and hopefully someone more knowledgeable can correct my interpretation.

There are times when you transclude a field, and you do not want the Rendered text (since Transclusion Wikifies the text) to create a link.
This may be because the field contains CamelCase, or it actually contiains a [[Wiki Link]] etc. but you want to display/use just the text: Wiki Link

There is an interesting straightforward way to achieve this.

<$set name="tv-wikilinks" value="no">
{{Title!!field}}
</$set>

I like this solution. I believe it simply creates html similar to:

Here is the documentation tiddler for the: tv-wikilinks variable

Cheers

S. S.

Feb 16, 2019, 8:25:21 PM2/16/19
to TiddlyWiki

Hi Tony,

Ref: This needs to be documented.

I did link to the documentation on the tv-wikilinks variable
However its full usefulness is not apparent from what is written, unless you can link it in your mind to what is written at the bottom of tiddler: Linking in WikiText

Customising Tiddler Links

See the LinkWidget for details of the underlying widget used to implement tiddler links, including macros that can be used to customise its behaviour.

It took me time to absorb and understand that WikiText uses underlying widgets to accomplish their shortcut wizardry! So that in essence whatever applies to an underlying widget would also apply to the WikiText that uses it?

Ref: I would like to display the raw content of other tiddlers as one example.

As part of the ongoing development of Beginner's Documentation, I felt that this may be one of the things a newcomer to TiddlyWiki would be interested in.
This is because of how the target audience of this level of documentation has been defined.

Here is the tiddler where you can see the result: How a Tiddler is Stored in a TiddlyWiki file

It can be done using the HTML <pre> tag and the <$view> widget, with a little bit of cheating to display the outer surounding <div> tag

Cheers!

P.S. I wonder of that last title should instead read : How a Tiddler is Stored in a TiddlyWiki program
       I will think about it!

On Saturday, February 16, 2019 at 6:51:36 PM UTC+7, TonyM wrote:
. . .

This needs to be documented.
. . .