TW5: Diminishing Returns

Qalisto

Nov 22, 2019, 1:45:52 PM11/22/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I consider a strategy to basically dump all ideas into Tiddlers into a Core DB.

Then to find best method to filter Tagged Tiddlers for extraction and inclusion into "customized" and "state of the art" *new* TW5 files for specific purposes (such as creation specific plans for business types)

Being new, one worries about at what point such a "Core" TW5 file will become too fat, unwieldy or worse, prone to corruption / data loss.

This worry also begs the question of which Tiddler-types (e.g. Image-based Tiddlers) are the most "de-stabilizing" to the single-file HTML?

This would be mitigated of course by the creation of sub-TW5 files which are as subject-specific as feasible.  But, at the cost of Search and the risk of missing some key data where one has forgotten into which Subject-ified TW5 file contains the data.  (The reason for the desired "Mothership" Core DB.)

I query the long-term users on these questions AND if there are any who employ this "Mothership TW5 spawning smaller customized files" strategy.

Use of a mothership file means we go to one place to insert and update for later extraction of accurate Tiddlers comprising the extracted "Cruisers".

But is this wise??

bimlas

Nov 22, 2019, 2:04:16 PM11/22/19
to TiddlyWiki
Qalisto,

This would be mitigated of course by the creation of sub-TW5 files which are as subject-specific as feasible.  But, at the cost of Search and the risk of missing some key data where one has forgotten into which Subject-ified TW5 file contains the data.  (The reason for the desired "Mothership" Core DB.)

I created the Locator Plugin for exactly the same dilemmas: if I store everything in a big wiki, there will be too many results for a search, but if I split the big one into small wikis, I'm afraid I won't find what I'm looking for. You can use the Locator to narrow your search to just a specific tag (or intersection of tags). Some of the features:
  • Shows related tags
    You can mark a tiddler with multiple tags, but in the classic ToC you don't see them while browsing, in Locator you can apply them as filters.
  • Easy way to search for tags
    Find tags in the standard search based on part of their name or view the tags of the search results at a glance.
  • Limit the scope of search
    You don't have to store your recipes and family tree in a separate wiki just to make them easier to find: you can define the scope of your search with some clicks (without the need to write filters in $:/AdvancedSearch).
  • Reorder the hierarchy with drag-n-drop
    You can easily move tiddlers between topics by drag-n-dropping them.

Jed Carty

Nov 22, 2019, 2:34:23 PM11/22/19
to TiddlyWiki
I made Bob partially to solve this problem. It lets you have many wikis organised and accessible. I currently have about 70 wikis, both for personal things (like keeping track of books I am reading) and for professional projects. It is very easy to just create a new wiki for a new thing when I need it.

It also has a file server so you can include images and media as external links so that they don't make your wikis huge.

There are still some things missing, like being able to search though all available wikis, but it works for me.

Qalisto

Nov 22, 2019, 2:56:17 PM11/22/19
to TiddlyWiki
thanks, Bimlas ... I presume this works on a Single TW file rather than several inside a Target DIR, yes?  You basically developed a method to be very Tag-granular on a per file basis?  In either case, will be happy to taste the fruits of your good work!

Qalisto

Nov 22, 2019, 2:57:35 PM11/22/19
to TiddlyWiki
Jed-  looks most intriguing.  Thank you for this contribution.  == Q

TonyM

Nov 22, 2019, 8:26:04 PM11/22/19
to TiddlyWiki
On the cross wiki search.

To support new users I was looking and an alternative standard edition people could down load that was more user friendly for new users. I wanted to keep it lite bu knew users may want to search for widget and macro information.

So on tiddlywiki.com I generated a list of key tiddlers widgets, filters, macros etc... As a link to tiddlywiki.com and with descriptions. I intend to add this tiddler to the standard edition so that most searches for something in the standard edition for content on tiddlywiki.com will have a link presented to the user.

This makes me wonder if we could create a standard method to capture tiddler titles, description and keywords from any wiki in a single tiddler in a standard location in any wiki which can be imported from as needed in any otherwiki to add searchability for external content. This could even be done with a template.

In future this could use optimisation techniques to reduce the size of this search content file. And provide an update link.

Regards
Tony