Using TiddlyWiki 5 to study the Bible

David Gifford

Nov 29, 2013, 4:45:22 PM11/29/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi all

For those not interested in the Bible but want to see some TiddlyWiki list filters and other features in action, I recommend you still have a look. I used Ton's trick to widen and narrow tiddlers, I have icons for various 'new tiddler' buttons, a reimagined sidebar, and various list filters, some working with tables.

But for those who would like to deepen their understanding of the biblical book of 1 John, check out http://giffmex.org/nt/1johnnotebase.html

For those not interested in the Bible but want to see some TiddlyWiki list filters and other features in action, I recommend you still have a look. I used Ton's trick to widen and narrow tiddlers, I have icons for various 'new tiddler' buttons, a reimagined sidebar, and various list filters, some working with tables.

Dave

Ton Gerner

Nov 30, 2013, 4:54:15 AM11/30/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave,

That looks very nice and clean, especially the right side with the icons under the Create tab.
I also saw you implemented tooltips for the icons. I saw tooltips in the 'etch' theme as well but have not figured out how to do it.
For sure I'll have a look inside.

Great work for a man who said he did not have time the upcoming months ;)

I am glad you could use my simple' widen' trick.

Cheers,

Ton

Jeremy Ruston

Nov 30, 2013, 5:27:09 AM11/30/13
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Dave

Great stuff, I've probably said this before, but I think that Bible study is a terrific use case for TiddlyWiki. Whatever else is going on, it is a big, rich, complicated text that repays study at many different layers, making it a good example of a topic that is just too complicated to fit inside most peoples brains in its entirety. It seems that Bible study can often be an intensely personal journey, too, and so it seems useful that TiddlyWiki provides a safe, private environment. Maybe the ability to work on a TiddlyWiki with ones network turned off is a useful contemplative tool, too.

It's this intersection between the complex and the personal that seems to fit TiddlyWiki so well.

I also note that the Bible resonated with one of the core philosophies of TiddlyWiki: to make complex information tractable we slice it up into the smallest semantic units, and give them sequence, titles and tags to enable us to refer to them. That seems to me to be reflected in the structure of the Bible as verses, chapters, books, with much the same motivation.

Best wishes

Jeremy.

Jeremy Ruston
mailto:jeremy...@gmail.com

James Weaver

Nov 30, 2013, 10:59:03 AM11/30/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Nice, David!  No doubt that TiddlyWiki5 could have greatly enabled Frank Thompson back in the early 1900s [1]

It feels like you're continuing his work of making semantic connections contained in the Bible, enabled by TiddlyWiki5 :-)

Regards,
Jim
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thompson_Chain-Reference_Bible

PVHL

Nov 30, 2013, 10:00:57 PM11/30/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I am much impressed -- and working hard at not getting sidetracked into studying the actual content right now.

Maybe not the place to mention this, but I noticed that if I was part way down a tiddler (had scrolled) and clicked a link to a tiddler that also overflowed (had a vertical scrollbar), the new tiddler opened with the same vertical scroll positioning as the one I had come from. IOW, they were both using the same scroll position. I haven't spent enough time with TW5 to know if this is TW5 or your file (I imagine it is TW5), but thought I'd mention it.

Thanks for sharing your work. I don't have time right now to play with TW5, but looking at other's files gives me a bit of an idea of what it can do. Those list/filter statements look really complicated though :0)

Cheers, Paul.

David Gifford

Nov 30, 2013, 10:24:14 PM11/30/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to all of you for your kind comments.

@Ton: the file setup itself I had finished before mentioning I would not be tinkering. The only tinkering I did was adding your quick fix, which was indeed quick. The 1 John part counts not as TW5 work but as Bible study and class/sermon prep. I am preaching on 1 John, on love, tomorrow morning. Or maybe that is just my way of justifying my indulgence in this project! And thanks for your help in the last few weeks. You are playing around with a lot of cool stuff. I will update the mall in the next day or two with the link you gave me in a different email.

Tool tips around buttons is just <span text=""> and </span> around the button. Tool tips around text is something I still don't know how to do.

@Jeremy: Yes, Bible study is indeed a great use case for TiddlyWiki: themes, literary features, canonical references, chapter and verse divisions, grammatical and rhetorical features, historical references, so much could be cross-referenced and TiddlyWiki is the best tool, in my opinion, for an end user to do that. Maybe this project could show up in the TW in the wild tiddler? Thanks for TiddlyWiki, both classic and 5! Oh, and also, congrats on the new release today.

@Jim, I hadn't thought of the similarity to Thompson's chain references. I am sure he would have found TW5 a big help in what he did. Though he probably would have spent even more time tinkering with TW, which would have distracted him from his task like it distracts me!

@Paul: I think you will find soon enough that some of us will build up a small library of filters and widgets and will make them available with little explanations and even bookmarklets like Stephan Hradek's bookmarklets, so you won't have to wade through that stuff too much. I will let Jeremy see what you mean about scroll positioning, and respond to it. Hopefully you will get some time freed up to both study 1 John and play with TiddlyWiki.

Blessings,

Dave

David Gifford
Christian Reformed World Missions, Mexico City

Paul Levey

Nov 30, 2013, 10:48:28 PM11/30/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Awesome! (And I should have mentioned I was using IE11 and Win7 Enterprise.)

David Gifford

Nov 30, 2013, 10:55:32 PM11/30/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Correction for Ton: tooltips should say <span title="">, not <span text="">. My apologies for the confusion!

Dave

Ton Gerner

Dec 1, 2013, 3:35:09 AM12/1/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave,

Thanks.
I found out already by inspecting your code.
Do use it in my toolbar buttons now.

Cheers,

Ton

Joshua

Dec 2, 2013, 12:18:35 PM12/2/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Nice job packaging this into something that looks and acts like a useful and usable implementation. I will definitely refer here for more info when creating my next TiddlyWiki. It looks like tags abound. Do you have trouble keeping them in mind or have you designed it in such a way for yourself that having so many tags is not a problem?

Joshua

David Gifford

Dec 2, 2013, 1:39:01 PM12/2/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Joshua. I added the verses one by one, so I just looked at each verse and determined what topics applied. The tags editor offers the tags that already exist, so I didn't need to remember them all. There are a few that I will probably condense from two or three into one. Then I created the lists of verses based on the tags, which was just pasting the same code into tiddlers. The last step, which I am doing now as I have time, is taking the list of tags and connecting them logically in the Overview. That is more of a writing assignment than anything, and is the reason for doing this work. I will then redo the process in Spanish based on the sentences in the Spanish version of the Bible that we use. The Overview will be reading my students have to do for classwork, and we will go over it in class.

I am Reformed and work with Presbyterians, and we use creeds and confessions. I have been thinking that this approach would also be great to harmonize the confessions. I am sure there are lots of other great use cases as well.

Dave

Abramelin the Mage

Oct 10, 2016, 1:05:11 PM10/10/16
to TiddlyWiki