How to install TiddlyDesktop in Ubuntu

Paco Rivière

May 4, 2020, 10:06:18 AM5/4/20
to TiddlyWiki
I did not find this topic in my previous search on this forum, nor in the TW site.

Here are my instructions:

Installing TiddlyDesktop on Ubuntu
Tested on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, 64 bits
Download the last release from https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyDesktop/releases
Unzip it in a new folder on your home folder, for example:

/home/{user}/TiddlyDesktop

Where {user} is your linux username

Check /home/{user}/TiddlyDesktop/nw has executing permisions: sudo chmod +x nw

Make the following symlink 1):
:~$ sudo ln -s /home/{user}/TiddlyDesktop /usr/bin/nw

And you can run:
:~$ ~/TiddlyDesktop$ ./nw

That's all.

To have TiddlyDesktop on Ubuntu favourite launchbar (optional)
On the terminal (Ctrl-T), do:
:~$ gedit ~/.local/share/applications/TiddlyDesktop.desktop

And paste this text on the editor:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=TiddlyDesktop
Comment=TiddlyWiki on your Desktop
Exec=/home/{user}/TiddlyDesktop/nw
Icon=/home/{user}/TiddlyDesktop/images/app_icon.png
Terminal=false

Save and close the editor

Give execution permisions to the file TiddlyDesktop.desktop

How to install it in Mac:
* Mac: https://www.youtube.com/embed/i3Bggkm7paA

Refererences:
1) Suggested by Matthew Lauber on https://narkive.com/UT54hvXM.6