Default tiddlers do not reload. Bug?

Hubert

Sep 5, 2019, 6:13:19 AM9/5/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hello,

This may be a possible bug.

I have a single tiddler titled Startpage that displays at startup as the default tiddler (defined in
$:/DefaultTiddlers). Sometimes the TW home button does not bring me back to the Startpage tiddler but displays an empty story river.

My current setup:
  1. 5.1.20 (single file)
  2. Firefox
  3. Storyview: Zoomin

Steps to reproduce:
  1. Go to default tiddlers by clicking on the Home button
  2. Close all (default) tiddlers (make the story river empty)
  3. Again, go to default tiddlers by clicking on the Home button
  4. Story river is empty (default tiddlers did not load this time around)
I was originally transcluding my default tiddler (called Startpage) in $:/config/EmptyStoryMessage so that I could always see the Startpage tiddler, even if I've closed all tiddlers, by having {{Startpage||$:/core/ui/ViewTemplate}} in the above tiddler's text field. But since 5.1.20, blank story river started showing after the above sequence of clicks, whether EmptyStoryMessage was defined or not (I've tested both scenarios, even with a very simple Startpage that only had 'test' in the tiddler text and having deleted the system tiddler EmptyStoryMessage, removed all styling, macro definitions, any references whatsoever etc.).

If anyone was able to reproduce the same behaviour please let me know as this could then be a possible bug. Please note that I had not observed this behaviour prior to 5.1.20.

Many thanks,
Hubert

Jeremy Ruston

Sep 5, 2019, 8:31:01 AM9/5/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hubert

Thanks for the report. Do you have any plugins or customisations in your wiki? Are you able to duplicate it at https://tiddlywiki.com? What operating system are you using?

Best wishes

Jeremy.

Hubert

Sep 5, 2019, 8:53:07 AM9/5/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for getting back to me and apologies for not testing this on tiddlywiki.com first.

I could not replicate the issue using tiddlywiki.com (having set config/PageControlButtons/Visibility/$:/core/ui/Buttons/home to 'show'), so the issue must be with my own wiki, which is to an extent customised.

The only plugin I have installed is Evan Balster's formula.
OS is Windows 10 but the same behaviour can be replicated on Android (via Chrome).

I'll try to do further debugging in my own wiki.

Thank you for your time!

Best regards.
Hubert
Jeremy.

Hubert

Oct 7, 2019, 4:59:07 AM10/7/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hello again @Jeremy et al.,

I have previously reported that this bug could not be reproduced at tiddlywiki.com, but I was wrong. When initially testing at tiddlywiki.com, I failed to switch the "storyview" to "zoomin" (and I missed a few other things). Below I've included the complete list of steps to reproduce the bug (and a quick GIF screencast of the behaviour):

Tiddlywiki settings (all included in the core) and steps to reproduce:

  1. Create a system tiddler $:/config/EmptyStoryMessage and put this in its text field (body): {{HelloThere||$:/core/ui/ViewTemplate}}
  2. Create a tiddler (overwrite the shadow tiddler) $:/config/PageControlButtons/Visibility/$:/core/ui/Buttons/home and put show in its text field (body) -- this will make the sidebar home button visible
  3. In the Control Panel, go to Appearance > Story View and set it as zoomin
  4. In the Control Panel, go to Info > Basics and under Default Tiddlers only leave the one tiddler called HelloThere, close the Control Panel tiddler
  5. Click on the sidebar home button -- the HelloThere tiddler will show/remain shown as expected
  6. Close the HelloThere tiddler -- there will be no visual change, the HelloThere tiddler will remain visible as expected (however, now it actually gets closed and removed from the story river -- what we now see is the fall back to HelloThere's transclusion as we've defined in point #1 above)
  7. Now click on the sidebar home button again. Now the tiddler will simply disappear (and this is the "bug" I'm reporting). The story river becomes entirely blank. Any attempt to bring back the default tiddler using the sidebar home button will have no effect whatsoever.
  8. To recover from this state, any of the other sidebar buttons, such as Control Panel or Create a new Tiddler and then click the sidebar home button again. This brings back the HelloThere tiddler.
I hope these steps are now clear and exhaustive. I would appreciate if you could look into this and I'm more than happy to help with testing in any way I can.

Thank you & best regards,
Hubert

test.gif

Hubert

Oct 7, 2019, 5:01:54 AM10/7/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Including the screencast as a GIF attachment as it doesn't seem to play when included inline (and a zipped version to hopefully prevent Google from scraping it).
HomeButtonEmptyStoryRiver.gif
HomeButtonEmptyStoryRiver.zip

Mohammad

Jan 27, 2020, 5:30:07 AM1/27/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Jeremy,
 This issue also occurred with fresh empty.html

Please also see

--Mohammad
Jeremy.

Jeremy Ruston

Jan 27, 2020, 1:30:39 PM1/27/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mohammad, Hubert,

I believe that this is now fixed:

Please give the prerelease a try,

Best wishes

Jeremy

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/6370497a-73d9-407e-b859-a3f1c5e8e038%40googlegroups.com.

Mohammad

Jan 27, 2020, 1:41:47 PM1/27/20
to TiddlyWiki
Many thanks Jeremy!
Works fine now.

--Mohammad

On Monday, January 27, 2020 at 10:00:39 PM UTC+3:30, Jeremy Ruston wrote:
Hi Mohammad, Hubert,

I believe that this is now fixed:

Please give the prerelease a try,

Best wishes