TiddlyServer

Joan Forn

May 11, 2023, 6:20:51 AM5/11/23
to TiddlyWiki

Hello everyone,

I am looking for some guidance regarding editing tiddlers on my iPhone. I would like to have a similar behavior as Notion, where any edited HTML is automatically synced across all devices and users who have access to the page.

Recently, I came across TiddlyServer, which seems promising, but there doesn't seem to be much documentation about it.

¿Any advise me on whether this is possible or any suggestions on how to achieve it?

Many thanks

Ross Table

May 11, 2023, 7:01:35 AM5/11/23
to TiddlyWiki
I have had great success integrating with github. I purchased a domain and have setup subdomains, each of which points to a different wiki that I am using for something different. There is no hosting fee as its hosted on github, the down side to this is it is technically public for anyone to view. If that works for you I highly recommend it. If you go that route, feel free to PM me or checkout the public repo's I have https://github.com/aquilaRoss?tab=repositories

This biggest gotcha was main vs master and finding where on github they have hidden the PAT generation stuff.

Joan Forn

May 11, 2023, 9:25:44 AM5/11/23
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks for the fast response,

I did tried to add a tiddly in your page and was not saved (wich is nice). ¿Do you have to enter your GitHub password everytime you do want to save changes?

I found this solution that works too:

1) start a LXC container or VM in your proxmox server.
2) inside the LXC, type:
       2.1)  "npm install -g tiddlywiki"
       2.2) "ip a"  to get the eth0 ip addres of the LXC, in my case "192.168.4.71"
       2.3) "mkdir /home/tiddlywiki"
       2.4) "tiddlywiki mywiki --init server"
       2.5) "mywiki --listen host=192.168.4.71 port=8080"
3) tiddlywiky is accesible by typing "192.168.4.71:8080" within any web browser from a device located in the same LAN
4) Optional: Make "192.168.4.71:8080" reachable to WAN by forwarding it to your domain via cloudflare tunnel.

Ross Table

May 11, 2023, 9:38:00 AM5/11/23
to TiddlyWiki
no, you have to generate a PAT (https://docs.github.com/en/authentication/keeping-your-account-and-data-secure/creating-a-personal-access-token), its sort of like a password then on the wiki you have to click the cog and find the github settings and paste it in there along with the github account name and other stuff, that field is then saved locally (I think as a cookie but not sure) so you have to do it the first time you time you try and make a change from that device/browser. (IF you don't have the PAT in, it will "download" a copy to your downloads folder)

One thing you can do to limit the risk of the PAT is to create a new github account that has just your tiddlywiki's as this reduces the reach of the PAT and treat it like a password.

A PAT will be about this length and contain "random" characters, letters, numbers etc, MIGeMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBAQUAA4GMADCBiA (please note this is not actually a PAT)

It all depends where you want to access it from. From a personal security POV, I would not recommend making an IP and port in your home reachable from anywhere unless you really know exactly what you are doing and the security risks that are involved in doing that.

Scott Sauyet

May 11, 2023, 11:25:42 AM5/11/23
to TiddlyWiki
Ross Table wrote:

> click the cog and find the github settings and paste it in there along with the github account
> name and other stuff, that field is then saved locally (I think as a cookie but not sure)

I'm pretty sure that the Git Savers save the Personal Access Token (PAT) in localStorage, which is probably more secure than a cookie, but slightly less convenient, and you will either need a separate PAT for every user/machine/browser, or you will need to find some (often insecure) way of sharing this across them.  I know that GitHub is experimenting with fine-grained tokens, so -- if that's working well -- then there should be little need for a separate account.  But I don't know where that stands.

  -- Scott

Joan Forn

May 11, 2023, 3:09:57 PM5/11/23
to TiddlyWiki
GitHub, it's working well!

Noticed a 1 min delay on re-deployment since the moment you hit save, since I have an inmediate sync alternative in place I will stick with it.

Help appreciated :)

Télumire

May 11, 2023, 5:09:58 PM5/11/23
to TiddlyWiki
FYI you can create a token easily with this link: https://github.com/settings/tokens/new?scopes=repo&description=tw

Télumire

May 11, 2023, 5:12:15 PM5/11/23
to TiddlyWiki
And for a better experience using GitHub I suggest you use the external core setup, that way saving will be very fast (as long as the wiki is not too big of course): https://talk.tiddlywiki.org/t/how-to-reduce-the-size-of-your-tiddlywiki/5364

Ross Table

May 12, 2023, 6:22:47 AM5/12/23
to TiddlyWiki
OH, and one other thing I found the hard way, turn off the auto save. I found that the constant saving was causing problems and I was much better off with the manual save. And Thankyou Télumire! I didnt know you could do that!