Release of Navigator Theme (beta) & a predecessor as a bonus

Thomas Elmiger

Apr 8, 2019, 12:58:17 PM4/8/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hello community,

https://tid.li/tw5/themes.html is live and updated and much more is not likely to happen during the next days and weeks. So this is as good as it gets at the moment, feedback is welcome but will take some time to digest on my side.

There are two themes available: mainly ...

The Navigator Theme comes with all optimisations ever developed for TW5 by me since March 2015 and in the ongoing project Bricks.

The theme offers a true mobile first experience, simple and clean, with enhancements for the desktop.

Navigator Features

  • top navigation – configurable, disappearing on small screens to save screen space
    • preconfigured with new control panel button that toggles the control panel (show/hide)
  • main navigation – at the bottom, where important functions are easy to reach on mobile; preconfigured for use with Simple Search.
    • big create-new-element button (optional)
    • hints for keyboard shortcuts on big screens (optional)
  • sidebar navigation appearing from the right (on all screens, never at the top)
    • never covers the whole story, so users see navigation happening in the background
    • hidden on first load (configurable)
    • easy to close on mobile (tap anywhere besides sidebar)
===

and as a bonus ...

Bricks 004 that was the first prototypic theme based on Bricks. A dark theme with good contrast in view mode. It uses the Twilight palette also available in the prerelease versions of tiddlywiki.com/prerelease

===

Special thanks to my first testers Diego and Josiah, who provided invaluable feedback and motivation over a very long time!

Cheers,
Thomas

Jan

Apr 8, 2019, 3:10:41 PM4/8/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hello Thomas,
great look, lots of great Elements ... chapeau.
Keep on tinkering and tiddlin' !
Jan

Watt

Apr 8, 2019, 4:23:08 PM4/8/19
to TiddlyWiki
Very nice on mobile, thanks a lot Thomas! It's sparking joy.

Jan

Apr 9, 2019, 4:53:58 PM4/9/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hallo Thomas,
I recently made my first .js which is a fixed navabar that only appears when scrolling down (back to the top).
I'd love to see it used on your two new themes, because you have a navbar on top. I still have not made a theme to use it.
http://www.szenio.de/Test/#ShowNavbar.js

Greetings Jan

Jan

Apr 9, 2019, 5:30:23 PM4/9/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hallo Thomas,
Sorry, this navbar does not seem to work with the permaview displaying its Tiddler...
In the normal display it works fine.
http://www.szenio.de/Test

Jan

Gracius

Apr 10, 2019, 8:09:05 AM4/10/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Thomas, thanks for providing this. I'm always excited to try mobile themes. One thing I noticed is that the JavaScript error popup is half off screen. I get this when I try to save the tiddler on my iPhone 6 and Safari, but it is not an error about saving

Thomas Elmiger

Apr 14, 2019, 5:48:12 AM4/14/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Gracius,

Thank you for the hint. As I am not aware of an easy way to provoque such errors I don’t think I can fix this soon ... sorry.

Cheers, Thomas

Thomas Elmiger

Apr 14, 2019, 5:55:01 AM4/14/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Jan,

Thank you for the link to your interesting solution! In fact, I tried to avoid additional complexity via JavaScript and focused on CSS only solutions.

On (really) small screens the top bar is hidden by scrolling it away when you scroll down. To make it visible again users will have to scroll back to the top. I thought, this might be acceptable as

a) the functions there should not be used that often
b) there is a back-to-top button in the bottom navigation

In what scenarios do you think, user experience would profit from your solution?

Cheers,
Thomas