For Moderators: Can we please clean up tags! So they remain useful.

TiddlyTweeter

Dec 27, 2019, 6:41:20 AM12/27/19
to TiddlyWiki
repeat for email ...

TiddlyTweeter

Dec 27, 2019, 6:43:22 AM12/27/19
to TiddlyWiki
It could be a good idea to add a "for moderation" tag!

Jeremy Ruston

Dec 27, 2019, 7:45:04 AM12/27/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Josiah

As far as I can tell, that is a list of the tags that are currently in use. There does not appear to be a means to remove items from the list (see illustration below). I think the only way we can remove items from the list would be to remove the corresponding tags from any posts.

Best wishes

Jeremy

Eric Shulman

Dec 27, 2019, 7:55:42 AM12/27/19
to TiddlyWiki
On Friday, December 27, 2019 at 3:39:16 AM UTC-8, TiddlyTweeter wrote:
This is the list under https://groups.google.com/forum/#!tags/tiddlywiki. It is a mess.

OK... which tags should stay and which should go?
I've marked up a few that I think can go... but I'm not going to remove them until I get some feedback...

BobEXE - just use "Bob"?
GoogleGroup - isn't everything here GoogleGroup?
TwTube - too specific?
WebVTT - too specific?
a_tag - tag experiment?
activate - no idea what this means
backtick - too specific?
discussion - aren't most posts "discussions"
discusson - spelling error!
done - why is this needed?
edit-text-widget - too specific?
evaluation - ???
filters - just use "filter"?
find - ???
forumuse - ???
html5 - just use "html"?
information - too generic?
legokit - ???
lpfs - too specific?
muuri-touch - too project specific?
operator - as in "filter"??
organise - ???
paragraphs - ???
search - (vs "find")
table - just use "tables"???
tag - just use "tags" ???
tips - there's LOTS of things that could be considered "tips"... too generic?
translcusion - spelling error!
type - is this about use of the "type" field?
usage - isn't everything "usage"?
z_ref - tagging experiment
z_tag - tagging experiment

Eric Shulman

Dec 27, 2019, 8:00:05 AM12/27/19
to TiddlyWiki
On Friday, December 27, 2019 at 4:45:04 AM UTC-8, Jeremy Ruston wrote:
As far as I can tell, that is a list of the tags that are currently in use. There does not appear to be a means to remove items from the list (see illustration below). I think the only way we can remove items from the list would be to remove the corresponding tags from any posts.

In the Moderation interface, under Settings/Tags, it looks like you can remove tags from the list of suggested tags.   I don't think this will affect tags on existing posts.

-e

TiddlyTweeter

Dec 27, 2019, 8:04:10 AM12/27/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Ciao Jeremy

Yeah. It is the list of what got used before you & Eric realised it went viral.

The problem with it is that users may well look to it as THE resource to filter from.

It has redundancy. It also has basic errors like misspelling.

It is not a clean list.

TT

Eric Shulman

Dec 27, 2019, 8:11:01 AM12/27/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
OK... which tags should stay and which should go?
I've marked up a few that I think can go... but I'm not going to remove them until I get some feedback...

Just to be sure it would have any effect, I removed a few of the obvious junk tags:

a_tag - tag experiment
discusson - spelling error!
translcusion - spelling error!
z_ref - tagging experiment
z_tag - tagging experiment

The result is that, when creating a new post, the list of suggested tags no longer shows the deleted tags.

-e

TiddlyTweeter

Dec 27, 2019, 8:12:11 AM12/27/19
to TiddlyWiki
Eric

I agree with ALL your suggestions except "tips".

TT

TiddlyTweeter

Dec 27, 2019, 8:36:06 AM12/27/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Personally I'd remove ...

TW5 - since we are in it already.

My tuppence
TT

Eric Shulman

Dec 27, 2019, 11:15:49 AM12/27/19
to TiddlyWiki
tag removal - part 2:

Here's the next short-list of tags I think can be removed:

BobEXE - just use "Bob"
TwTube - project specific single post
WebVTT - project specific single post
activate - no idea what this means
backtick - syntax specific
discussion - aren't most posts "discussions"
edit-text-widget - too specific
filters - use "filter"
find - use "search"
forumuse - ???
html5 - use "html"
information - too generic
lpfs - too specific
muuri-touch - project specific
organise - ???
paragraphs - ???
table - use "tables"
tag - use "tags"
usage - too generic

Before I remove the above tags, I'd like some confirmation from others that they concur.

-e

Mohammad

Dec 27, 2019, 11:24:07 AM12/27/19
to TiddlyWiki
Eric,
 I see somewhere you used plural somewhere singular
I recommend singular everywhere

like filter, and NOT filters or
tag and NOT tags

--Mohammad

On Friday, December 27, 2019 at 7:45:49 PM UTC+3:30, Eric Shulman wrote:
tag removal - part 2:

Here's the next short-list of tags I think can be removed:

BobEXE - just use "Bob"
TwTube - project specific single post
WebVTT - project specific single post
activate - no idea what this means
backtick - syntax specific
discussion - aren't most posts "discussions"
edit-text-widget - too specific
filters - use "filter"

Correct!

find - use "search"
forumuse - ???
html5 - use "html"
information - too generic
lpfs - too specific
muuri-touch - project specific
organise - ???
paragraphs - ???
table - use "tables"

I suggest table

tag - use "tags"

and here tag NOT tags

Mohammad

Dec 27, 2019, 11:28:48 AM12/27/19
to TiddlyWiki

On Friday, December 27, 2019 at 4:25:42 PM UTC+3:30, Eric Shulman wrote:
On Friday, December 27, 2019 at 3:39:16 AM UTC-8, TiddlyTweeter wrote:
This is the list under https://groups.google.com/forum/#!tags/tiddlywiki. It is a mess.

OK... which tags should stay and which should go?
I've marked up a few that I think can go... but I'm not going to remove them until I get some feedback...

BobEXE - just use "Bob"?
GoogleGroup - isn't everything here GoogleGroup?
TwTube - too specific?
WebVTT - too specific?
a_tag - tag experiment?
activate - no idea what this means
backtick - too specific?

??

discussion - aren't most posts "discussions"
discusson - spelling error!
done - why is this needed?
edit-text-widget - too specific?
evaluation - ???
filters - just use "filter"?

Correct!

find - ???
forumuse - ???
html5 - just use "html"?
information - too generic?

just widget!
if NO then we may need to have reveal widget !!

legokit - ???
lpfs - too specific?

operator is enough
??
operator  may be enough

table - just use "tables"???

table is recommended

?

translcusion - spelling error!
type - is this about use of the "type" field?
usage - isn't everything "usage"?

??

may be variable?

Eric Shulman

Dec 27, 2019, 11:41:46 AM12/27/19
to TiddlyWiki
Compare:
   filters, tables, tags, variables, fields, fonts, widgets, plugins
vs.
   filter, table, tag, variable, field, font, widget, plugin

I think I prefer the plurals, since they seem to refer to collections of multiple posts rather than single posts

But either way will do, as long as we don't have BOTH.

-e

Mohammad

Dec 27, 2019, 11:48:35 AM12/27/19
to TiddlyWiki
Yes! we need one of them not mixed of them!

On Friday, December 27, 2019 at 8:11:46 PM UTC+3:30, Eric Shulman wrote:
Compare:
   filters, tables, tags, variables, fields, fonts, widgets, plugins
vs.
   filter, table, tag, variable, field, font, widget, plugin

I think I prefer the plurals, since they seem to refer to collections of multiple posts rather than single posts

we refer to a semantic subject here TW scripting elements!

But either way will do, as long as we don't have BOTH.

Agree!

-e

HansWobbe

Dec 27, 2019, 4:23:59 PM12/27/19
to TiddlyWiki
For what it's worth, I created "a_tag" and "z_tag" as a bit of an experiment.

It showed me that the tags on a post appear in alphabetic order. This effectively creates a bit of a sorted index by bracketing all other tags. By using the gGroups search capabilities, it's easy to filter out various combinations.

Of course, tags are not strictly needed to do this since the search covers both the tag values and the appearance of that value with the text areas of a thread and its enclosed posts. As a result it's relatively easy to created "noWords" that are adequate Search targets. I doubt this method would ever be shared, but it is effective.

Hans.

TiddlyTweeter

Dec 29, 2019, 7:22:49 AM12/29/19
to TiddlyWiki
Eric, sorry to crap on about this.

THANKS for beginning to clean up https://groups.google.com/forum/#!tags/tiddlywiki.

Please note that available tags in the editor  "New Topic" are also an issue ... At the moment when you create a new thread the offered tags are ...

action
activate
announcement
backtick
Bob
BobEXE

bug
bulk
codemirror
css
date
design
discussion
docs
done
edit-text-widget
editor
evaluation
favicon
feature-request
field
filter
filters
find
font
forumuse
GitHub
goodUSEofTAGS
GoogleGroup

html
html5
import
information
keybindings
keyboard-widget
language
legokit
lpfs
macro
maths

I just think that tidying the tags will (1) make more sense; (2) help people find things later!

I feel slightly anal complaining, but I do think it is an issue.

Thanks for your efforts!
Josiah

TiddlyTweeter

Dec 29, 2019, 7:28:15 AM12/29/19
to TiddlyWiki
Eric Shulman wrote:
Before I remove the above tags, I'd like some confirmation from others that they concur.

My view is that IF you get no explicit feedback use your own instinct.

It is often an issue here getting consensus. I don't think people don't care.
Rather the numbers are too low for such votes to make sense.

My take
Josiah

Eric Shulman

Dec 29, 2019, 7:54:52 AM12/29/19
to TiddlyWiki
On Sunday, December 29, 2019 at 4:28:15 AM UTC-8, TiddlyTweeter wrote:
Eric Shulman wrote:
Before I remove the above tags, I'd like some confirmation from others that they concur.

My view is that IF you get no explicit feedback use your own instinct.

OK... I've used my own instinct.  If I removed a tag someone liked, they can let me know and I can always add it back.

I think there are still too many tags (63!)... in fact, there are more tags than are displayed when creating a new post.  This implies that Google Groups itself doesn't expect there to be that many tags!

However, it's not clear which remaining tags should go.  Please review the list and make suggestions for tags that could be removed (and why).

Here's the current list of tags:

Bob
GitHub
GoogleGroup
TWC
TiddlyMap
action
announcement
bug
codemirror
css
date
design
docs
editor
evaluation
favicon
feature-request
field
filters
font
html
import
keybindings
keyboard-widget
language
legokit
macro
maths
mobile
newbie
nodejs
offtopic
package
plugin
print
question
quirk
regex
resource
saving
search
server
singlefile
snippets
sort
svg
tables
tags
template
theme
tiddlyserver
tiddlyspot
tips
transclusion
tutorial
type
update
utc
variables
vim
whitespace
widget
wikitext

-e

TiddlyTweeter

Dec 29, 2019, 8:08:05 AM12/29/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Ciao Eric

To me that is really beginning to make sense. I'll sit on it a day and comment further.

Best wishes
Josiah

Eric Shulman

Dec 29, 2019, 9:08:32 AM12/29/19
to TiddlyWiki
On Sunday, December 29, 2019 at 5:08:05 AM UTC-8, TiddlyTweeter wrote:
To me that is really beginning to make sense. I'll sit on it day and comment further.

One thing to consider is how many times a particular tag has actually been used to tag posts.

I don't know of a way to get all the tag counts in one screen, but you can view the list of tags:

and then click through on each tag, one at a time, to see how many posts have that tag.

-e

TiddlyTweeter

Dec 30, 2019, 10:29:40 AM12/30/19
to TiddlyWiki
Eric Shulman wrote
One thing to consider is how many times a particular tag has actually been used to tag posts.

I don't know of a way to get all the tag counts in one screen, but you can view the list of tags:

I did look at numbers. Some things are obvious to keep ...

announcement (60)
bug (30)
css (39)
question (60)
resource (49)
saving (34)
singlefile (26)
template (12)
theme (11)
tutorial (28)
widget (25)

Everything 10 & below I ignored on counts.
And looked at them individually.
In next post.

TT

TiddlyTweeter

Dec 30, 2019, 5:09:39 PM12/30/19
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Eric

I'm not sure when a count is 10 or below it makes sense in the way that, say 60 (e.g. "question") does.

Meaning, because it is low, does not mean it is not useful. So from count 10 down I think this is more art than science.

I have a few suggestions on further thinning below (I don't list the the higher volume items mentioned in my last post to keep it clearer).

I am sure it could be thinned more. But this is what I think to remove 9 more items.

Best wishes
TT

Eric Shulman asked:
Please review the list and make suggestions for tags that could be removed (and why).

Bob
GitHub
GoogleGroup
TWC
TiddlyMap
action - delete as redundant, it is too wide
codemirror - THIS one is interesting. Should every plugin have a tag? I think not. Suggest delete.
date
design
docs - This one was added by me at some point. Might be better to replace it with "documentation". I think it is USEFUL, to highlight new attempts to document TW
editor
evaluation - of what? We are always evaluating stuff. Redundant. Delete.
favicon - I think I added that? Seems okay. Its an aspect of TW that is defined, though minor. Keep.
feature-request
field
filters
font
html - What isn't html? Sems far too wide to be useful.
import
keybindings - Not useful to keep
keyboard-widget - Not useful to keep
language
legokit - I am pretty sure I added that. It is not really needed. Can be removed.
macro
maths
mobile
newbie
nodejs
offtopic
package
plugin
print
quirk
regex
search
server
snippets
sort
svg
tables
tags
tiddlyserver
tiddlyspot
tips
transclusion
type
update
utc - far too specific. time/date covers it?
variables
vim - delete, it is too specific.
whitespace
wikitext

-e

Eric Shulman

Dec 30, 2019, 5:55:04 PM12/30/19
to TiddlyWiki
On Monday, December 30, 2019 at 2:09:39 PM UTC-8, TiddlyTweeter wrote:
I am sure it could be thinned more. But this is what I think to remove 9 more items.
action - delete as redundant, it is too wide
codemirror - THIS one is interesting. Should every plugin have a tag? I think not. Suggest delete.
evaluation - of what? We are always evaluating stuff. Redundant. Delete.
html - What isn't html? Sems far too wide to be useful.
keybindings - Not useful to keep
keyboard-widget - Not useful to keep
legokit - I am pretty sure I added that. It is not really needed. Can be removed.
utc - far too specific. time/date covers it?
vim - delete, it is too specific.

As per your suggestion, I've just deleted the above 9 tags.  There's still too many.  Keep going.  Much thanks for your assistance.

-e

TiddlyTweeter

Dec 30, 2019, 6:24:20 PM12/30/19
to TiddlyWiki
I can probably add a few more.

I'll sleep on it.

Best wishes
Josiah

TiddlyTweeter

Jan 2, 2020, 10:04:12 AM1/2/20
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao Eric

A few more suggestions.

I'm done with what I can do :-)

Hope someone else has a shot!

Best wishes
Josiah
Eric Shulman asked:
Please review the list and make suggestions for tags that could be removed (and why).

Bob
GitHub
GoogleGroup
TWC
TiddlyMap
date
design - NOT SURE. It is certainly functional. But "css" might be better at tag level. Design of what: code? presentation?
docs - This one was added by me at some point. Might be better to replace it with "documentation". I think it is USEFUL, to highlight new attempts to document TW
editor
favicon - I think I added that? Seems okay. Its an aspect of TW that is defined, though minor. Keep.
feature-request
field
filters
font
import
language
macro
maths
mobile
newbie
nodejs
offtopic
package - slightly tricky. But we aren't really doing "packages". So it seems redundant.
plugin
print
quirk - likely I created that. I doubt anyone would reference "quirks". Delete.
regex
search
server
snippets
sort
svg
tables
tags
tiddlyserver
tiddlyspot
tips - this was me. Can go. It was a nice idea at the time. But can be done though a title just as well.
transclusion
type - this is ambiguous as is. Likely means "content-type"? Not worth keeping without demand for it.
update
variables
whitespace - not clear enough. This may be about pragma? But not helpful alone. Delete.
wikitext