The-book weekly report

Luis Gonzalez

Jan 16, 2020, 5:28:31 AM1/16/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
In this new release I wrote Chapter  10 - Tiddlywiki Internals with some information  about the Tiddlywiki files and the $tw object created at startup.

As always, if you find any fault or omission, please tell me.

NOTE: The $tw diagrams are "searchables" in the pdf flile.
The_Book.pdf

TonyM

Jan 16, 2020, 6:14:25 AM1/16/20
to TiddlyWiki
Luis,

Thanks for this work. I will view and respond when I can find a little more time.

Regards
Tony

bimlas

Jan 16, 2020, 6:34:18 AM1/16/20
to TiddlyWiki
Luis,

Thanks for writing this great book! Although one of the main features of TiddlyWiki is that it is non-linear, it is much easier to understand if you are guided from the ground up into the mountains and you do not have to find the right paths.

This is the first time I have read it and it given me some thoughts:

1.1 Key points:

Tiddlywiki is more than a note-taking application.
It is an advanced way of organizing your information.

 In my opinion, TiddlyWiki is a database that happens to contain mostly text, but could even include products, prices, phone numbers, "weight diary", etc.. This is important because I think many people see it just as a flexible notepad, although TiddlyWiki is much more than that. So I think 1.2 What is TiddlyWiki might include "notetaking application" as well as "a kind of database".

1.3 Starting with TiddlyWiki

I think it should be mentioned that while you can edit any TiddlyWiki (even tiddlywiki.com), the changes will only exist on the editor's computer because (by default) you cannot upload them to the server (if you are from an online wiki). This may be important because I was laughing at Tiddly the first time I met because I thought anyone could edit my site if it's a TiddlyWiki.

1.5.2 Tiddlers

If you close the tiddler it disappears from the screen.

"If you save and close.." - Surely there will be a reader who wants to close without saving and will be amazed if they can't find it in the search results.

1.5.7 Transclusion

You should remove space around !!

1.5.9 Filters

You can think of TiddlyWiki as a database in which the records are tiddlers.

Yes, this is what I am talking about and I think it should be said more!

1.5.10 Macros and widgets

It use macros and widgets to personalize its appearance.

 This is only half true, I think that templates have a greater impact on display, but macros and widgets provide interactivity (checkbox, list widget) and "hackability" (so you can implement new features).

For now, that's all I would say, my lunch break is over. :)

Mohammad

Jan 16, 2020, 6:34:41 AM1/16/20
to TiddlyWiki
Many thanks Luis,
 I understand you work alone and I hope interested people in this forum come
and help!

--Mohammad

Luis Gonzalez

Jan 16, 2020, 8:52:11 AM1/16/20
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks!!

I don't mind work alone. I am learning a lot while writing this documentation and people in the group help me.
But there is something that I would greatly appreciate, and that people who have written many plug-ins would not cost much work.

I want to write a chapter with an example wiki. For example a task list or other little Tiddlywiki. We would have to do the wiki and some explanations of how it is coded (for example a table with the tiddlers of the wiki and what are they for, the macros, css included, etc)

This example would demonstrate what would be the right way to customize Tiddlywiki for a particular use. I think Tiddlywiki is so versatile that it is very easy to get complicated.

Mohammad Rahmani

Jan 16, 2020, 9:56:56 AM1/16/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Luis
Tw-Scripts has many examples and it is like a cookbook. So feel free to use it in your book and just give references where it is appropriated.

I will write a small task manager for your chapter.

Best wishes
Mohammad

Mohammad

Jan 17, 2020, 3:09:17 AM1/17/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Luis
The first part of creating a simple plugin in Tiddlywiki to be used for your Book is ready!

I have started a new thread, to have comments and feedback from other people and then decide on the final version you like to include in your Book.
I hope I can find time to finalize other parts soon.

Best
Mohammad

Luis Gonzalez

Jan 17, 2020, 8:28:20 AM1/17/20
to TiddlyWiki
It's great!!
This is just I want!!!

Maybe it can be included as is. I would like to respect your work to the fullest. The next week I will start adding this first part to the book.

I really appreciate what you do for the book.
I don't dominate this part and it would take a long time to catch up. This work greatly accelerates the completion of the book.

I await excited the other parts.

Thanks again.

Mohammad Rahmani

Jan 17, 2020, 9:00:03 AM1/17/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Luis,
 Thank you! I am glad you like it.
 Feel free to change it to fit your requirements. I also keen to see what feedback I get to improve this part.
As Tony said, I need to refer to wikitext and Javascript and mixed of them.

I will revised and push a new update.

--Mohammad

Best wishes
Mohammad