Opera USB "saving problems"

mikko

Jun 3, 2007, 6:58:00 PM6/3/07
to TiddlyWiki
As it has been mentioned earlier, there are some difficulities to save
TW using opera. In General this can be bypassed using the TiddlySaver
applet.

BUT: i would really love to use TW with my OPERA-Browser on my
Portable-Usb-Stick.

How could this be done?

I would appreciate any hints...

Daniel Baird

Jun 3, 2007, 7:08:56 PM6/3/07
to Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I have a vague memory of someone asking that "native" support for
saving from Opera should be built in, so Opera didn't have to use
TiddlySaver. Come to think of it, it might have been the case that
Opera used to have native support that was retired in favour of
TiddlySaver, and this person was asking for it to be restored.

I couldn't find a ticket for it though.. does any anyone else remember
what the situation was?

;Daniel

--
Daniel Baird
http://tiddlyspot.com (free, effortless TiddlyWiki hosting)

andrewg_oz

Jun 4, 2007, 5:02:50 AM6/4/07
to TiddlyWiki
Javascript in Opera has no access to the local file system, so
TiddlySaver, being a Java applet, is the only way to do that sort of
thing. Furthermore, in order for Java to be able to write to the local
file system from a web page, special security exemptions are required.
These are specified in the .java.policy file and need to be told which
applet should be given those permissions. This file would need to be
present on each computer the USB drive is plugged in to, and
configured with the correct drive letter. Once created everything
should be fine, and you can plug and unplug freely. It's just that you
can't walk up to any computer and just start using TiddlyWiki. Plus,
if you're using other peoples computers, they may not like you
creating files on their computer. There's no easy answer.

Daniel Baird

Jun 4, 2007, 5:41:48 AM6/4/07
to Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Come to think of it, it was probably Safari, not Opera, that I'm
remembering. Oh well.

;D