Include spaces on TiddlyWiki5 hosted by Tiddlyspace

@stevesuny (Steve Schneider, SUNYIT)

Oct 13, 2014, 9:53:20 PM10/13/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I've decided to experiment with TW5, as I move forward on my Tiddly* projects (Any thoughts about the major differences between TW5 and TWClassic much appreciated!). I figured out how to get a TW5 space hosted on Tiddlyspace, but don't know how to include spaces for plugins. Probably something simple, or did I stumble into one of the main differences moving from Classic to 5? Thnaks, //steve.

Steve Schneider
SUNYIT

PMario

Oct 14, 2014, 8:03:09 AM10/14/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday, October 14, 2014 3:53:20 AM UTC+2, @stevesuny (Steve Schneider, SUNYIT) wrote:
I've decided to experiment with TW5, as I move forward on my Tiddly* projects (Any thoughts about the major differences between TW5 and TWClassic much appreciated!).

I did a little summary for my own use [1] that describes the major changes in the wiki syntax.

I figured out how to get a TW5 space hosted on Tiddlyspace, but don't know how to include spaces for plugins. Probably something simple,

It's __not__ possible to use any TWc plugins with TW5. The plugin mechanism is completely different.
IMO nobody made experiments, how to use the TS include mechanism with TW5. ...

On the other hand TW5 supports a mechanism, that's called "lazy loading", so it should be possible to combine / display content from different spaces.
But there is no plugin yet, that can handle this mechanism.

or did I stumble into one of the main differences moving from Classic to 5? Thnaks, //steve.

probably :)

--------

It will need some time, until TW5 can catch up with the plugin ecosystem, that TWc had.
But the TW5 core can do many things, where TWc would have needed a plugin. ...

eg:
The TW5 "list widget" can do all the stuff you would have needed the ForeEachTiddler macro in TWc ...
See the upcoming Version 5.1.3 ... will have NewHere, NewJournal, NewJournalHere buttons, that are TWc plugins ...

have fun!
mario

PMario

Oct 14, 2014, 8:03:45 AM10/14/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com

Steven Schneider

Oct 14, 2014, 8:10:02 AM10/14/14
to TiddlySpace
Answering my own question: If I go to [spacename].tiddlyspace.com/_space I can include other spaces. Is there an easier way? I am also finding the entire macro approach to TW5 different, but I'm working through it...

Anyone have experience or stories to tell about the shift of a large-scale collection of macros to TW5?  Is it worth the effort? What are the benefits?

Thanks!

//steve.

Steven M. Schneider
SUNY Institute of Technology  | http://www.sunyit.edu
Professor and Chair, Department of Communication & Humanities
Coordinator, Communication & Information Design Program

Tobias Beer

Dec 2, 2014, 8:32:55 PM12/2/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
IMO nobody made experiments, how to use the TS include mechanism with TW5. ...

It shouldn't really work differently, should it?

Best wishes, Tobias.

MarkPearson

Feb 23, 2015, 11:13:25 AM2/23/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Steve,

Could you please illuminate me on how to get a TW5 space hosted on tiddlyspace ? I don't mind completely blatting one of my existing tiddlyspace domains.

Thanks
Mark

Tobias Beer

Mar 2, 2015, 6:14:07 AM3/2/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

This may be of interest to you...

I'd suggest trying it out - create a new space,
and include the space "tw5tiddlyweb",
then visit yourspace.tiddlyspace.com/tw5
Interesting to open the network tab in developer tools
and watch the traffic too.

You'll see that:

  • The TW5 HTML file is loaded without any tiddlers embedded within it.
    • At startup we read a skinny version of all tiddlers, and then use lazy loading to load the bodies as required
  • That means that plugins can't be loaded from TiddlySpace, they need to be embedded in the TW HTML file
  • At the moment the adaptor just writes new tiddlers to the private bag, but reads all tiddlers from the recipe in the expected way.

Best wishes, Tobias.

MarkPearson

Mar 2, 2015, 12:28:34 PM3/2/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com