Tiddlyspace Service Update

TiddlySpace

Jan 12, 2016, 4:00:11 AM1/12/16
to TiddlySpace

Tiddlyspace Service Update

The hosting arrangement that supports the tiddlyspace service was renewed in December of last year, assuring that the service will be in place throughout 2016. However, it is unlikely that this arrangement will be renewed again at the end of this year. This means that unless someone either assumes the contractual ownership of the hosting arrangement or provides an alternative solution, the service will likely cease at the end of December, 2016.

During the coming year, osmosoft will continue to provide the fairly limited helpdesk support that we have provided to this point. This support has been and will be limited largely to help with access (passwords, user names, etc) and reporting issues to the hosting service. There is no plan to engage in development of any sort, nor do we anticipate becoming involved in upgrades to the tiddlyspace software.

It is possible that an individual or group will wish to assume responsibility for hosting the service or negotiating a contracted hosting arrangement. It would be best for this to be proposed within the tiddlyspace user community so that interest might be gauged.

Any current user who wishes to save information created and held on tiddlyspace.com should consider exporting whatever information is to be saved. For information on the various ways that export may be achieved, check https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/tiddlyspace/export.

JV

Jan 15, 2016, 3:45:07 PM1/15/16
to TiddlySpace, tiddl...@googlegroups.com
This is very unfortunate!

I love TiddlyWiki, but one thing it's not great for is use by a group. TiddlySpace has been the best answer to that thus far. As a college professor, I have put several highly customized TWs on Tiddly Space - most importantly, two that allow our research group to manage information and resources, and two that provide practice problems and solutions to students in a topic-by-topic "quiz yourself" format.

There are lots of problems with putting these out as ordinary TiddlyWiki files, including control of multiple users, inability to separate public/private, limited authentication/security, loss of saving mechanisms on current browsers, etc. I don't know of any other platform that combines built-in tools with so much easy customization! I hope someone will find a solution that will allow this service to continue; please keep us posted if there are any developments.

--Jon

Handoko Suwono

Jan 17, 2016, 12:56:17 AM1/17/16
to TiddlySpace, tiddl...@googlegroups.com
hi Osmosoft,

Today the 17th I lost my update in TS though it's well saved. Now it revert back to my last saved 14th and lost the rest. I don't know how to recover those files, is there any outage at tiddlyspace?

handoko -
astroiseur.tiddlyspace.com

PMario

Jan 17, 2016, 4:40:08 AM1/17/16
to TiddlySpace
did you "shift" reload the page? sometimes the browser cache shows the old content.

-m

Handoko Suwono

Jan 17, 2016, 10:01:09 AM1/17/16
to TiddlySpace
no, it's just gone. I have reloaded and clear the cache in firefox 35.0 browser. Not really sure what is happening so I would wait until tomorrow and do nothing because it's still in the weekend to check for. You can see it at your end.

handoko -

J & P Savage

Jan 17, 2016, 7:15:28 PM1/17/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Very sad news indeed.

André de Carvalho

Jan 18, 2016, 11:53:15 AM1/18/16
to TiddlySpace, tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I've been using TiddlyWiki since a long time ago and TiddlySpace in the last years.
I maintain a software development site at http://acarvalho.tiddlyspace.com/ and it provides me a place to test and disseminate ideas without the intruding stuff you find in most of the other sites. It is also very easy to update, maintain and evolve.
It is a very sad prospect to see TiddlySpace go.

I am willing to pay a reasonable annual fee to keep my site working there or elsewhere.

Meanwhile, thanks to Osmosoft for keeping this fantastic tool for all these years.

André de Carvalho

Dickon Bevington

Jan 19, 2016, 7:02:09 AM1/19/16
to TiddlySpace, tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Just to mark the sadness of this, but also to acknowledge the support that BT Osmosoft has given over the years, without which TS would not be where it is.  That is something to celebrate,. and thanks are due.

I hope that there might be some solution for the broader community, but clearly it is important for all users to work out their options and alternatives, as the AMBIT project is currently doing.

Dickon

TiddlySpace

Jan 20, 2016, 3:17:41 AM1/20/16
to TiddlySpace
Hi Handoko,

There's been no outage of Tiddlyspace.  We've had a look at your space and I can't see anything wrong with it from our end.

Regards,

Osmosoft.

Handoko Suwono

Jan 20, 2016, 3:37:03 AM1/20/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
thanks, new tiddlers have been updated today. The previous is definitely gone.

handoko -

Leo Staley

Mar 10, 2016, 6:16:41 AM3/10/16
to TiddlySpace, tiddl...@googlegroups.com
What are the costs for continuing the tiddlyspace hosting service? We might be able to get enough people to pitch in to keep it going.

André de Carvalho

Mar 14, 2016, 5:32:19 PM3/14/16
to TiddlySpace
Count me in.
André

Mat

Apr 10, 2016, 5:20:20 PM4/10/16
to TiddlySpace
On Thursday, March 10, 2016 at 12:16:41 PM UTC+1, Leo Staley wrote:
What are the costs for continuing the tiddlyspace hosting service? We might be able to get enough people to pitch in to keep it going.

Leo - I'd spontaneously guess that it is more a matter of TiddlySpace servers being owned by Brittish Telecom, i.e a huge company, and it is probably just a too small project to be of interest rather than a monetary one. Anyone feel free to correct me.

However, CDent (Chris Dent), the former chief admin of TS and whom you can find in other posts here on the board, started what I believe is a very similar server/service called TANK. I believe this is just him running it... so it is more likely that money/costs IS a matter there, I mean if you're prepared to pay for having this type of service.

@TiddlySpace admin - instead of just shuttnig down... what would it take to transfer ownership to e.g the UnaMesa Association (the legal entity that owns TiddlyWiki on behalf of the community - ref). It would be doing a good thing and the TiddlySpace community will forever be grateful :-)

<:-)

Chris Nelson

Apr 15, 2016, 9:21:17 PM4/15/16
to TiddlySpace
On Sunday, April 10, 2016 at 5:20:20 PM UTC-4, Mat wrote:
However, CDent (Chris Dent), the former chief admin of TS and whom you can find in other posts here on the board, started what I believe is a very similar server/service called TANK. I believe this is just him running it... so it is more likely that money/costs IS a matter there, I mean if you're prepared to pay for having this type of service.

I've looked at Tank (https://tank.peermore.com/), and I've tried to port over there.  I want to like it; I really do.  But the look-and-feel is so different that I just can't muster the energy required to actually do it.  I may go backwards to a desktop TW stored in Dropbox for portability.  Or something like that.  I'm also hoping for a resuscitation of TS or an as-is move to some other hosting service.  And I would be willing to pay for that, as well.

Jean-Pierre

Aug 6, 2016, 10:26:35 PM8/6/16
to TiddlySpace, tiddl...@googlegroups.com

I ///might/// be willing to host and/or sponsor hosting depending on just how big (expensive) the beast is.
Doing this would (in my mind) be a long term commitment and so I need to see what I am getting into.

Can you advise on the hosting requirements for TiddlySpace?
Obviously this would require "unlimited" subdomains. How many are currently in use ?
How much disk space is needed ?
What is the approximate monthly bandwidth ?
Are there any special server configurations that might not be available at a commercial (shared server) host ? (see next question)
Can this be hosted via a CPanel site or is shell access required ?
Anything else one might need to know?

ALSO: Would BT be willing to continue the existing limited tech support ? What tech support would be possible for transition to another server?

 -- Jean-Pierre Robinson

cdent

Aug 25, 2016, 5:10:46 AM8/25/16
to TiddlySpace

I've looked at Tank (https://tank.peermore.com/), and I've tried to port over there.  I want to like it; I really do.  But the look-and-feel is so different that I just can't muster the energy required to actually do it.  I may go backwards to a desktop TW stored in Dropbox for portability.  Or something like that.  I'm also hoping for a resuscitation of TS or an as-is move to some other hosting service.  And I would be willing to pay for that, as well.

Yeah, tank ended up being something that was much more directed to my specific need: a simple wiki that supports transclusion. The fact that it _can_ do tiddlywiki (2 and 5) is sort of a work in progress that I hoped someone else would help improve but that (or those) someone elses never showed up. So, a couple years later, it still works well as a plain wiki with some interesting latent features. Such is the nature of needing to make a living :(

Handoko Suwono

Oct 12, 2016, 12:29:47 AM10/12/16
to TiddlySpace
Interesting to notice there is not much progress on this TS re-hosting possibility or there is one beyond notice.  I asked because I've been using TS and also having promoted TS at large in meetups, conferences, contests etc and have learned something about the group/multiuser ability which needs database instead of using one file TW and try to synchronize multiple TWs. This group has really helped.

I made a download for my TS using the menu function and to host it in my domain. So it will simply be a read-only single TW., the only thing that I can preserve my work without the multiuser capability.

handoko -

Baldur Johannsson

Nov 17, 2016, 9:12:25 AM11/17/16
to TiddlySpace
Hi there. Has current tiddlyspace hoster(s) thought of:

1. encrypt the private tiddlers using the users password (or (salted) cryptographic hash of it if that is stored in the user database) in such a way that it is usable with the password encrypted tiddlers plugin (maybe not the exact name of it).

2. put up an .zip dumb, encrypted privated tiddlers included, of each space.

3. possibly sending all these .zip files to archive.org and or other such archives.

This could be done once and making the tiddlerspaces readonly.

This prevents loss of data quite easily.

Thoughts?

PMario

Nov 17, 2016, 4:20:07 PM11/17/16
to TiddlySpace
Hi Baldur,

I've released 2 scripts for windows, mac and linux systems, that let you create local backups of your stuff: see: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/tiddlyspace/xBIwk5NTV2g
And I did create a little video, that shows users, how to make the space nice again and push them to archive.org see: : https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/tiddlyspace/6Xmt-qwHR5k

All of this has to be done by the users themselfs, off course.

have fun!
mario

George Omadeon

Dec 9, 2016, 8:12:38 AM12/9/16
to TiddlySpace
Thanks PMario,
I successfully saved my tiddlyspace site in archive.org as you explained...

However, is there a way to deal with private tiddlers?
In archive.org it is no longer possible to log-in, of course....

George Omadeon

Dec 9, 2016, 8:17:35 AM12/9/16
to TiddlySpace
And another question...

I succesfully saved my tiddlyspace site locally in a USB-stick,
using the simple command...
https://[myspace].tiddlyspace.com/?download=anyname.html
...and noticed that locally I do have access to private tiddlers,
But my question is:
-is it likely that this access will be lost when the real site is down?

PMario

Dec 9, 2016, 8:36:56 AM12/9/16
to TiddlySpace
Hi George,

Have a look here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/tiddlyspace/xBIwk5NTV2g
I did create 2 scripts, that let you download all your spaces. private and public content!

have fun!
mario