Tidalforce teardown now in Files area

bill_von

Sep 21, 2007, 1:12:41 PM9/21/07
to TidalForce Forum
I put together a document called "Tidalforce disassembly" that
documents the disassembly of the hub motor, if anyone's interested.
It's in the Files area.

Joe

Sep 21, 2007, 2:16:34 PM9/21/07
to Tidal...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much Bill!
This could be very helpful.

Best,
Joe

deerfencer1

Sep 21, 2007, 3:02:18 PM9/21/07
to TidalForce Forum
I second that Bill--excellent contribution indeed!

Thanks,

Larry

On Sep 21, 2:16 pm, Joe <joe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you very much Bill!
> This could be very helpful.
>
> Best,
> Joe

PGrace

Sep 22, 2007, 12:18:32 PM9/22/07
to TidalForce Forum
Sweet!
Yes, optical makes sense (no pun intended) Hall Effect with all those
switching magnets around sounds glitch-prone

Cliff

Sep 22, 2007, 12:42:39 PM9/22/07
to Tidal...@googlegroups.com
From: "PGrace"

> Yes, optical makes sense (no pun intended) Hall Effect with all those
> switching magnets around sounds glitch-prone

I wonder if you could make the motor turn faster by repainting the inside
cover with less segments.

Cliff

Nimbuzz

Sep 22, 2007, 1:16:44 PM9/22/07
to TidalForce Forum
Mr Bill, do you happen to have the same for the front hub? I took mine
apart and am unsure of the placement of several small spacers -- I
know = dumb.

Joe

Sep 22, 2007, 2:02:50 PM9/22/07
to Tidal...@googlegroups.com
Al you're too funny!
Best,
Joe (mobile)

bill_von

Sep 23, 2007, 12:05:11 AM9/23/07
to TidalForce Forum

> I wonder if you could make the motor turn faster by repainting the inside
> cover with less segments.

I fear not. If the system is indeed using those painted segments to
commutate the motor, then messing with them would result in the motor
"thinking" it was in a different position than it was in. The
relationship between the magnetic flux of the magnets and the pole
pieces would no longer be maintained, and the motor would become
erratic or stop.

bill_von

Sep 23, 2007, 12:05:52 AM9/23/07
to TidalForce Forum

> Mr Bill, do you happen to have the same for the front hub?

Unfortunately no. I did not have to disassemble it completely, so
that's all I got.

Richard Papa

Sep 23, 2007, 7:17:32 AM9/23/07
to Tidal...@googlegroups.com
WOW!!!

Thanks sooo much Bill! This is a fine piece of work!

Great stuff,

Rich

Baris Eris

May 20, 2017, 12:05:35 PM5/20/17
to TidalForce Forum, Tidal...@googlegroups.com
Hello Bill, et al;

After few thousand miles, my trusty S-750 motor started to make a clicking noise every turn (although presently it appears to be only noise; no functional impact yet).. Obviously this is not good news and I'd like to open it up. I'm coming up short though; after removing the 9 screws around the black circular plate, I don't know how to pull the assembly. I saw others on the web different kind of motors use 3-legged puller or more crudely, a hammer to push it out..

Because files discontinued in these groups (http://groups-announcements.blogspot.com/2010/09/notice-about-pages-and-files.html) I can't see the doc you posted Bill. My key issue now is, I don't know if I need to remove the gear cassette. Even then, I need guidance in taking it apart.

Appreciate any suggestions and/or the file referenced here.

Thank you,

Baris.

E+Believer

May 21, 2017, 9:15:22 AM5/21/17
to TidalForce Forum, Tidal...@googlegroups.com
The clicking noise is likely external to the motor. The motors are almost bullet proof. The clicking noise can be a caused be a broken spoke or a broken axial. Carefully check the tension on each spoke. To check the axial you will have to remove the cassette. I don't have a procedure, but it similar to a standard bike. Good Luck.

Baris Eris

May 22, 2017, 2:24:09 PM5/22/17
to TidalForce Forum, Tidal...@googlegroups.com
Wow spokes it was indeed!. So simple.. About 8-9 of them were loose, and problem went away instantly. Thank you so much for the suggestion.