Writing Prompt 2/25/10

Alyssa Ast

Feb 25, 2010, 10:08:17 AM2/25/10
to The WM Freelance Connection
Hello,
As you know , it's time for a new prompt for the week. Here's this
weeks:

"Do you plan out your road to success with your writing (such as
setting goals) or do you wait for offers and progress in your career
to come to you? Why?"

Rebecca Sebek

Feb 25, 2010, 11:10:30 AM2/25/10
to the_wm_freela...@googlegroups.com
I plan and go with the flow.  Sometimes you need people to come into your life (like everyone at the WM Freelance Connection) before you can proceed.  I also connected with many people in the entertainment business, specifically screenwriting.  One of the script consultant's agreed to review one of of my short films.  The feedback is invaluable.  I'm taking the feedback and applying it to my teleplay which I finished a few months ago.  Without the script consultant's knowledge, I wouldn't have been able to accurately clean up my screenplay before I send it out to an agent.

I outlined a young adult novel and non-fiction book.  I'm choosing to work on the young adult novel and would like to finish it within two to three months.  Then, I'd like to turn it into a screenplay.  On the flip side, my writing is all over the internet.  All it takes is one person to read my blogs, articles, or short stories for me to land sweet deals!

Rebecca

Rebecca Sebek, MSM
"Turning Words into Wealth"
Freelance Writer

Phone:  480.208.1599
Email:  savvywrit...@gmail.com

Freelance Writing Websites
http://www.Savvy-Writer.com
http://www.thewmfreelanceconnection.com

TiceWrites

Feb 25, 2010, 12:58:37 PM2/25/10
to The WM Freelance Connection
I definitely set goals, and work hard toward them...but at this point
in my career a lot of offers also come my way. I have a LOT of
business-blogging contracts right now, for instance, something I
really wasn't anticipating. A year or two back, I was writing Web
content pages and articles for Web and print...but I started blogging
for myself at <a href=http://www.makealivingwriting.com>Make a Living
Writing</a> ...got an offer to blog for Entrepreneur magazine, and
it's just rolled from there.

So I believe in goals -- consider them a MUST for writers who aim to
earn well -- but stay open to opportunities I'm presented with that
are beyond my ability to anticipate! In the world of new media, things
are changing fast.

Carol Tice
http://www.caroltice.com

Alyssa Ast

Mar 5, 2010, 7:06:53 AM3/5/10
to The WM Freelance Connection
I'm a huge goal setter but I also go with the flow. If things aren't
going as I had predicted I won't hesitate to adjust my goals to fit
the situation a little better. I love goals because it helps you stay
focused in your writing and move you forward to where you want to be.
Plus, nothing beats the satisfaction that comes with accomplishment,
such as that of completing a goal. I think if you really want to
succeed as a writer you can't sit around and wait for opportunities.
You have to put yourself out there and be a "go getter"-- although I
do welcome unexpected opportunities.