[MBUN] Moving to Monterey County....soon

Kim

Mar 17, 2012, 7:05:19 PM3/17/12
to MB...@yahoogroups.com

Hi! I'm Kim. I joined this yahoo group a few months ago but then never introduced myself formally. My husband was going to be transferred and then he wasn't and now it seems that we are coming after all! He works for the government and with all of the budget cuts in his department, they are scrambling to make ends meet. It's been quite a roller coaster ride and it's not over yet, lol.

Anyways, I am anxious to get our kids plugged into a home schooling group once we get to california. We have been in a very remote part of Montana for about 1 1/2 years and it's been very hard. Our tiny town has a population of less than 3,000 and you have to drive four hours to get to anything that even resembles a city. We are two hours from the interstate. The winters are brutal with temps often in the -30 to -40 range! And, what has been the biggest struggle, the town is very much opposed to home schooling even though it's legal here. We are the only home schoolers in town. It's been tough socially for the kids and for our family, but we felt it was the best decision on both academic and social grounds ( the kids in the schools here sadly come from very uncaring families with many parents using meth or too much alcohol). So, needless to say, I can't wait for us to get to CA! It probably won't be until May or June, though.

We lived in Southern Cal about seven years ago, but never up north. I would love to hear about what opportunities there are for home schoolers, what sort of things this group does, etc. My boys are 8 and 6 and we also have a 3 year old girl. We have homeschooled for three years now. First in Des Moines, IA and now in Montana. I can't really pin down our homeschool " style". We certainly have gotten along best with Unschooling groups in the past, lol. We do use some curriculum materials but are very loose with them. We have also tiptoed around some Waldorf, but I have just used the ideas that resonated with the kids.

I would love to hear from you all! Thanks so much. :-)

Kim

Recent Activity:
.