Meaning of Life, my thoughts

Zak Smid

Jan 19, 2012, 4:00:04 AM1/19/12
to The Search For the Meaning of Life
“The Meaning of Life” is something infinite, it has to be. Life is
experienced through countless souls, past, present and future. So the
“Meaning” must not only be infinite, it must be simple, for lack of a
better term, a “lowest common denominator” of sorts. Infinitely
complex, yet simply defined. The meaning must also be purposeful, not
some esoteric slogan that embodies the complexity of an orchestra in a
single cohesive line; it must be applicable to everyone’s individual
journey. The idea I present is a fluid one. A goal that continues to
move, both attainable, and at the same time unsustainable while
travelling on a fixed course. I figure the Meaning of Life must also
align with a happy state of being, otherwise why the hell would we
bother?
To love, and to be loved. Sounds almost silly, given the pre-amble,
but please allow me to explain. “Love” is in itself an infinitely
complex word given its context. Don’t worry, this isn’t going to be
some didactic, hippy-era throwback.
“To Love,” is fundamental to our sanity as human beings. I mean it as
a verb, a command, a philosophy, and a non-tangible emotion. To love
in the most complete sense of the word we must love what we do;
meaning our jobs, hobbies, every action our bodies and minds undertake
should meet our own approval according to personal morals, values, and
even enjoyment. That means living a life of conscience and liking it!
As rigid as that may sound, that structure is provided by ourselves
alone; no one else, no book, no government is telling you what to do.
I assume we all have consciences, I know I do, but if you don’t feel
free to disagree with this entire proposal. It’s easy enough to
follow, you’re really just agreeing with yourself. This way, we learn
to love ourselves.
The fluid part of this theory is that loving what we do can and does
change. A job that brought fulfillment and meaning to life at some
point can grow dull and tiresome. Hobbies that gave us a reason to
keep on existing can eventually become exhausted. Therefore loving
what we do means constantly adapting and pursuing activities that we
find intrinsically rewarding. Once a sport or pastime grows cold we
should place it aside and find something new that we can chase with a
passion.
The most obvious part of the “Love” philosophy is our emotional
connection with our girlfriends, spouses, children, parents, extended
family...If I had to define this type of love it would mean wishing
nothing but good for the other, in good times and bad; as well as a
sincere longing to be with them whenever apart for a time. Purists
rejoice, this love must be true. No room for hypocrisy here. Loving my
girlfriend but holding a grudge against my brother isn’t good enough.
I have spent the majority of my life angry with members of my
immediate family, and it tears us apart. We only get one family, and
as hard as it may be to forgive and forget the bad it needs to happen
if we are to fulfill the “meaning of life”. Emotional love branches
off into everything from sex to telling your precious teenage daughter
to never have sex, ever. Sex doesn’t even have to be a part of it,
true love can work independently of sex, how else do old people stick
together once their bits stop working?
To love, we must also respect those around us, “The Golden Rule” is
this in a nutshell. By treating everyone we come in contact with the
way we wish them to treat us, we are setting ourselves up for the
“...to be loved” part of this whole scheme. And in “the meaning of
life” as I see it, receiving is just as important as giving. Feeling
appreciated, needed, and respected by our friends, family, and daily
contacts is what sustains us. It’s at the core of what we all need to
feel happy.
We don’t all need to run off, get hitched and start a family, but
having an affectionate partner doesn’t hurt. Learning to depend on
that partner and being with someone who knows your every nuance and
secret is an amazing comfort that adds “meaning” to just about any
life. I don’t have any children of my own yet, however every decent
parent I know agrees that raising children fulfills a part of the
human soul that nothing else can. Loving them through ages of cute,
awkward, defiant, flighty, and independent tests our compassion to the
limits and from what I hear the love that children can give back is
something unparalleled.
So I guess that’s it. Love! And be loved. To me these simple words
embody “the Meaning of Life.”
Love what you do. Follow passions and always keep learning about the
things that fascinate you.
Love who you are. Keep to your instincts and values; never compromise
what you know to be true and right.
Love who you are with. They are your backbone. The more completely you
respect and care for the people around you the more respect and care
will be returned.
And be loved. Allow people to get close. We don’t truly trust in
others until we become vulnerable to them. Not that we should be
pansies and hug everybody nearby, but trust is our soul’s confidence.
That and it’s nice knowing that someone loves you.