Re: [TFA] Digest for the-freshwater-aquarium@googlegroups.com - 1 Message in 1 Topic

Tom Reagin

Aug 23, 2013, 8:26:05 AM8/23/13
to the-freshwa...@googlegroups.com
I like blasting sand for the substrate (or a combination of blasting sand and Hartz plain cat litter.)  If you can find and afford Profile, it is excellent.

If not LED lighting, then T-5 florescent tubes would be best.  (I have a fish room with T-8's.)

Tom

Tom Reagin, O.D.
104 Church Street
Decatur, GA   30030
(404)378-3694
tgre...@gmail.com

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 7:11 PM, <the-freshwa...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/the-freshwater-aquarium/topics

    "icarp...@aol.com" <icarp...@aol.com> Aug 12 08:00AM -0700

    I had a 30 gallon aquarium when I lived in San Antonio which was just about
    self sustaining. I had a biowheel filter for which I never changed the
    media, and the tank had a thick carpet of algae. I did 25%+ water changes
    every 2 weeks, vacuuming up excess algae. The main feature was a very
    large piece of driftwood.

    In this milieu I had a thriving population of shrimp and snails, and a self
    renewing family of mollies, maybe 6-7 generations in, as well as a few
    frogs, a few zebras and a few corys. It was always fun to watch. Alas I
    had to give it up when I moved to Peoria, IL 3 years ago.

    Now I am settled and ready to start over with an aquarium and I now have
    the space to try something larger. I want a 75-90 gallon freshwater tank;
    I hope to have it rather heavily planted. It's been some time since I was
    conversant in the hobby and I don't really have a good LFS. I also think
    I'd like to have colorful tetras this time, maybe with some dwarf gouramis.

    My questions are as follows:
    1. What is the best substrate on the bottom of the tank to have a natural
    look and promote plant growth.
    2. LED lighting seems all the rage but it also seems expensive. For a
    planted tank this size what is the recommended lighting?
    3. Apparently taks this large are best served with cannister filters. I
    am partial to the idea of bio rather than chemical filtration but is there
    a guide somewhere about the pros and cons?

    Thanks

    Matt

--

---