pdf organisation tool for linux

id....@gmail.com

Dec 1, 2008, 10:05:23 AM12/1/08
to The Efficient Academic
Hi,

I would like to hear your opinion. I have used Macs most of the time
and as mentioned here before there are some great pdf organisation
tools available for OS-X.
By example Leap (http://www.ironicsoftware.com/leap/index.html, quite
expensive in my opinion) or papers (http://mekentosj.com/papers/).

I have a wonderful HP 2133 mininote (which I can highly recommend) and
I'm now looking for a similar programs under linux. The only I know is
"zotero" and jabref.

Please let me know if you know something similar.

Frank

Graham Smith

Dec 1, 2008, 2:44:03 PM12/1/08
to The-Efficie...@googlegroups.com
Frank

> I have a wonderful HP 2133 mininote (which I can highly recommend) and
> I'm now looking for a similar programs under linux. The only I know is
> "zotero" and jabref.

I'm not going to be of any help I'm afraid, I use Yep on the Mac and
have failed to find anything that works the same way on Linux.

I was pointed towards Referencer http://icculus.org/referencer/ but it
doesn't index the PDFs or let you view them, other than a thumbnail.

So like you I would be grateful if anyone can suggest something.

Graham

thibaut

Dec 1, 2008, 5:31:21 PM12/1/08
to The Efficient Academic
Sorry no help for linux,
for OS X though I highly recommend bibdesk+skim (all free)

http://bibdesk.sourceforge.net/
http://skim-app.sourceforge.net/

cheers

tibo

Emre Ayca

Dec 29, 2008, 2:20:32 AM12/29/08
to The Efficient Academic

> I have a wonderful HP 2133 mininote (which I can highly recommend) and
> I'm now looking for a similar programs under linux. The only I know is
> "zotero" and jabref.
>
> Please let me know if you know something similar.

Try Referencer,

http://icculus.org/referencer/

it might not be as powerful as papers of leap but it has a similar
functionality: you can tag your pdfs (or other types of documents), it
can scrape metadata off the pdfs and fill them in auomatically (though
this feature needs more improvement); and you can take notes related
to the document, which you can export as html.

not full-fledged and polished as the mac software you mentioned, yet
it seems promising.

Emre

jan.re...@mendeley.com

Feb 5, 2009, 12:40:28 PM2/5/09
to The Efficient Academic
Hi Frank

…a little bit late, but still :) …

Maybe you can have a look at Mendeley (http://www.mendeley.com, I'm a
co-founder). It's free reference management software (similar to
Papers, but with the "Web 2.0 twist") for Linux (Win and Mac too).

Essentially, Mendeley is free academic software to manage & share
research papers and a research network to access your papers online,
discover research trends and connect to like-minded researchers. You
also offers full-text search and you can cite your references in Word
via a Word plugin (Open Office and Latex plugins are currently being
developed).

I will be following up this reply with a new post on this forum. Our
aim is to spread the word right now and to get feedback on how to
further improve the tool (btw, we have a feedback forum to pick up
your ideas at http://feedback.mendeley.com).

Please have a look and let us know what you think of Mendeley. We
appreciate all feedback!

Best wishes
Jan

Peter Hoffmann

Mar 25, 2010, 9:49:52 AM3/25/10
to The-Efficie...@googlegroups.com
Mendeley is available for Linux/Mac and Windows: http://www.mendeley.com

-- Peter

CB

Mar 29, 2010, 5:32:57 PM3/29/10
to The Efficient Academic
I've used Mendeley on Mac and Windows, and if the Linux client is
similar, I can highly recommend it. It has a simple and elegant UI
that is improving all the time, tagging, searching, a great facility
to sync with an online webapp (which is thoroughly functional in its
own right), and a nice pdf reader with decent annotation abilities.

The developers seem very responsive to the user community, both
through their blog and feedback forum (at which users can vote for
favoured new features).